Windows

General discussion

Ed Bott's Microsoft Challenge--4/27/2000

By ebott ·
A reader tells me he's ready to ditch his 6GB IDE drive in favor of a screaming 18GB SCSI drive. But he doesn't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling Windows 2000 and all his software and customizations. What's the best way to move everything from his old drive to his new one so he can resume working without missing a beat? If a third-party utility is the answer, make sure it's compatible with Windows 2000.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tehsin In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

If I were the gentelman, I would
fisrts make a system disk form the orignal ide drive and copy the config and autoexec files on it
2ndly simply make the new drive a save and the old one master on the same machine.
3rdly would format and partition the new drive so that it has atleast the same numebr of partions as on the old ide drive if not more
4th transfer system on the new SCSI device form the orgnal IDE Boot Drive
5th would drag and drop to move all thats on old drive to the new drive
6th would change remove the old IDE inacse i dont need it or simply make it slave and the SCSI disk master and reboot

It has to work..:) no need of any other software (would take time but sure wont ask for money)

Collapse -

by ebott In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by hein In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Install a temporary drive that will accommodate the compressed information (about half the total of the data on the 6G drive). Boot to DOS and use Ghost 6 from the command prompt with the switch "-split=610 -autoname" (without quotes) to obtain sequential files not more than 650Mb in total. These files should be written to CD before copying to the new drive in case of any drive problems. It is also preferable not to use Ghost from the drive to be copied.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by ruben316 In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Use Symantec's Ghost 6.0 Standard Edition

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity