General discussion

Ed Bott's Microsoft Challenge--4/6/2000

By ebott ·
OK, I've settled on VPN, and I need your help once again. My small (10 users) network accesses the Internet through a 1 Mbps DSL line and Microsoft's Proxy Server. Where do I go from here? What kind of mistakes am I likely to make? Help me avoid thepitfalls and get my VPN running smoothly, securely, and as quickly as possible. The best suggestions (and confessions, if you've learned the hard way) will appear in my next column.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Clocks In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Ok, first, I would not have used the MSFT proxy server in the first place. But, since you aparently already have it implemented somewhat, I will just have to work from there.
Since you have already got in installed, DONT use msft PPTP. It has IPSec problems. Find a different client. Also, Definitely use a pipeline router to gain the built in functionality without having messy configurations. If you go with the router (itll cost you some but not much), you will automatically solve the firewall and VPN problems without messing with configs to do it.

Collapse -

by ebott In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by green_lantern In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

The Proxy Server okay for a gateway, but I would purchase another program to server as a firewall. Proxy leaves a lot to be desired for security. Also kill all unnecessary protocols. Get rid of IPX and Netbios if at all possible. Big security holes and they create traffic you might not want.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity