General discussion

Ed Bott's Microsoft Challenge--5/18/2000

By ebott ·
Last week I asked for Explorer replacements. This week the Challenge is to replace the underpowered Notepad with a real editor (but please, don't nominate Edlin). Two ground rules: 1. Be sure to include the URL where I can find the software. 2. Don't forget to list the killer feature(s) that make this one worth sending Notepad to the Recycle Bin. I'll hand out 250 points to each nominee. This challenge closes at the end of the day on Thursday, May 25.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

58 total posts (Page 5 of 6)   Prev   03 | 04 | 05 | 06   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Tyree In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

I replaced Notepad with NoteTab Lite from http://www.notetab.com. Why? #1 it's free. It has unlimited capacity, up to your available memory. It has macros included to figure almost anything. Who needs Excel? :-) There is a user community and additional libraries of macros for almost everything else. I answer tech support questions by email and it comes in handy to have all the FAQs available with one click or user defined keystroke. I made my own libraries of Windows95, Windows 98 and Windows NT FAQs. Its a great place to store all those little one line tips you come across so often. You can open multiple files, see your file storage folders in the QuickList instead of opening files via the File | Open dialogue. This program can insert HTML, strip HTML, insert formatted text as HTML using the <DIV> tag. This is especially handy when you save text files from AOL that are actually HTML. You can have it stay on top or not, as you need. You can copy column blocks and join or seperate lines, save files in mult

Collapse -

by ebott In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Curt Fleishman In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Another vote for NoteTab Light (http://www.notetab.com). The search and replace on multiple files has been a lifesaver. I recently had to move a web site, and was able to correct all the html and scripts in under 5 minutes (about 600 different files).

Collapse -

Collapse -

by bpvanek In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Ed,
I would suggest using Notetab Light vice Notepad. Notetab's extremely impressive features include the ability to edit extremely large files and open as many files as your memory will allow. You can open links in your default browser, calculate mathematical expressions, program it to add specialized features, create your own toolbars to run your own macros, create simple outline documents, convert text files to web pages, strip tags from HTML documents, send documents as e-mail, capture text copied to the Clipboard, view detailed text statistics, etc.
A unique feature is the Editor Clipbook. This is a flexible tool for handling text clips, which can be anything from a single character to a large chunk of text.
Upon installation Notetab will ask you if you want to replace Notepad, as the default editor, and automatically perform this task. Numerous third party add-ons are available to increase the functionality of this gem. The link to the website is www.notepad.com.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by DEREKHYPS In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

THIS IS THE EDITOR INCLUDED WITH QDOSW95. MY FAVORED FILE AND EDIT MANAGER OF ALL TIME
UltraEdit / UltraEdit-32 - v4.40

The editor for all your editing needs.

UltraEdit is an excellent replacement for NOTEPAD and a lot more,
with support forunlimited file sizes, 100,000 word spelling checker,
full HEX editing capabilities, configurable syntax highlighting
for programmers, column editing. UltraEdit has all the features
you will need. UltraEdit handles multiple files at once, even
if they are multi-megabyte files. It is Disk based and only requires
a small amount of memory, even for very large files. UltraEdit-32 is
designed for Windows NT and Windows 95, and UltraEdit is designed for
for Windows 3.1. One fee allows use of both products.

Standard Features:
- Disk based text editing
- No limit on file size, minimum RAM used even for multi-megabyte files
- Multiple files open and displayed at the same time
- Column mode editing!!!, Insert columns/ delete/ cut/ add sequential

Collapse -

Collapse -

by twirdlock In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Ed,

Like many others, I like EditPad. It is quick, simple, effective and virtually FREE.

You can get it at: http://www.jgsoft.com/
as well as numerous other shareware sites.

Features include:

-EditPad can open as many files at a time as you want.
-You change between the open files by clicking on their tabs. No hassle with heaps of overlapping windows.
-EditPad adds new files to the current instance unless you specifically tell it to open a new instance.
-Block functions: saveparts of your text to disk and insert a file in the current text
-Specify many print settings: font, margins, headers/footers, etc.
-Option for keeping the EditPad window on top of all other windows.
-When you close an unsaved file, EditPad will either warn you, automatically save the file or do nothing.
-Reopen menu that lists the last 16 files opened.
-EditPad puts an icon in the system tray that remains visible, even if EditPad is closed. This way you have easy and fast access to EditPad, without the n

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
58 total posts (Page 5 of 6)   Prev   03 | 04 | 05 | 06   Next