General discussion

Ed Bott's Microsoft Challenge--7/13/2000

By ebott ·
Over the past few months, I've been soliciting your help replacing pieces of Windows that, for one reason or another, aren't up to the demands of power users. This week, the target is the Windows Registry Editor. For some reason, Microsoft ships twoof them with Windows 2000, Regedit and Regedt32. Either one gets the job done, but both run out of gas quickly--for example, you can't do search-and-replace operations, nor can you undo changes. Surely there's a better way. If you've got a favorite Regedit replacement, tell me (and your fellow TechRepublic members) about it. Be sure to include the key features that make your alternative better than the default, and don't forget to provide a Web link for more information.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

37 total posts (Page 2 of 4)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mwb In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

I use three utilities from the NT resource kit: reg.exe, compreg.exe, and regfind.exe. reg.exe can be used to query, add, update, copy (from PC to PC!), save, and restore registry keys and values. You can also load & unload hives. compreg.exe can compare registry values for use in scripting. Regfind.exe can scan & replace items in the registry. Each of these command-line programs has numerous options that regedit or regedt32 do not have. I use these all the time. Find them and use program.exe /? to look at the options or visit:
www.microsoft.com/TechNet/winnt/administ.asp

Collapse -

by ebott In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by bdivine In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

A particular product that I like is Funduc's Search and Replace utility. It comes with the advanced Technical Reference for NT.

Home.sprynet.com/sprynet/funduc

It has a great deal of functionality, but you do need to be a savy registry user/hacker.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by schenk@nl In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

I have two solutions, both freeware. The first is to extend the default registry with Registry Editor Extensions (RegEditX - http://www.dcsoft.com/prod01.htm) This adds a dropdown-list to regedit so that you can easily access the last few visited keys.

The second solution, not a "real" replacement is Registry Styler 99. With this program you can change the settings by using a GUI, just like you do with TweakUI (lets add that one as a 3rd recommondation ;-) much safer than manually changing keys...

Gtx,
Fred

Collapse -

Collapse -

by ObiRon In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Personally, I try to avoid editing the registry. But there is one tool I use fairly often to clean out the registry. It is Advanced Registry Cleaner from New Information Technologies. It runs fairly extensive testing and displays all questionable entries leaving you the option to delete or edit the key.

It can be found at http://www.nit.mk.ua/adregcln/index.html

Collapse -

Collapse -

by davidm In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

I am definitely not a registry guru. I use Norton System Works 2000. There are several features that make this an excellent tool, especially if your are not an expert.

The Norton Registry Editor, within Norton Utilities, provides an easy way tobackup your registry before you start making changes. You also have an undo feature available to overcome the times when your fingers don't type what your head says they should. The Find and the Search & Replace features are a real time-saver for me. It also provides the ability to export and import registry files.

Norton Utilities also provides Norton Registry Tracker which will track changes to the registry and provide a restore function. It also shows exactly what changes were made, for example, additions, deletions, and moves are noted and easily viewed.

I've found the registry tools available in Norton System Works 2000 to be very useful. They have really helped my ability to solve problems without being a registry expert.
More information i

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
37 total posts (Page 2 of 4)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next