General discussion

Ed Bott's Microsoft Challenge--7/13/2000

By ebott ·
Over the past few months, I've been soliciting your help replacing pieces of Windows that, for one reason or another, aren't up to the demands of power users. This week, the target is the Windows Registry Editor. For some reason, Microsoft ships twoof them with Windows 2000, Regedit and Regedt32. Either one gets the job done, but both run out of gas quickly--for example, you can't do search-and-replace operations, nor can you undo changes. Surely there's a better way. If you've got a favorite Regedit replacement, tell me (and your fellow TechRepublic members) about it. Be sure to include the key features that make your alternative better than the default, and don't forget to provide a Web link for more information.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

37 total posts (Page 4 of 4)   Prev   02 | 03 | 04
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by lcha In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Go to WWW.regedit.com. There is loads of information in there. Within the discussion/forum area i have seen at least 2 sites lited that have regedit tools.

Cheers

Collapse -

by ebott In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by stuff In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

One thing that seems to have been overlooked so far here is that you CAN backup just the registry key to be changed before you make that change.
Just hclick the key you're working on click 'Registry' then 'Export', you can now give it a meaning full name, it's saved as a .reg file so all you need to do is execute it and hey presto it's imported back into the registry.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Sara L In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

I must add this to the answers:

Regedit is searchable. I did a search and destroy just recently.

Regedt32 is not searchable.

Someone else has already mentioned that you can save a key. Windows 2000 also provides you with a feature that lets you return to the Last Known Good registry. Here is what I found in the Help topics to do this last thing:

To restore the registry

Click Options, and then click Print to print these instructions. They will not be available after you shut down your computer in step 2.

Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
Click Restart, and then click OK.

When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.

Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.

Use the arrow keys to highlight an operating system, and then press ENTER.

Notes
Choosing Last Known Good Configuration provides a way to recover from problems such as a newly added driver that may be incorrect for your hardware. It does not solve problems caused by corrupted or missing drivers or files.

When you choose Last Known Good Configuration, Windows 2000 restores information in registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet only. Any changes you have made in other registry keys remain.

HTH,
Sara L

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
37 total posts (Page 4 of 4)   Prev   02 | 03 | 04