General discussion

Ed Bott's Microsoft Challenge--7/20/2000

By ebott ·
I'm working with a TechRepublic member who recently upgraded to a Windows 2000 Server. He's managed to convince his users to store their data on the server where it can be backed up, but getting all those data files into safe storage has turned intoa struggle. His old DDS-2 backup drive doesn't have the capacity or the speed to do regular backups. What hardware would you recommend? Should he consider migrating older files to Removable Storage? I'll award 1000 TechPoints (and maybe even a cool TechRepublic T-shirt) if I use your advice in my next column. But don't delay--this challenge closes at the end of the day on Thursday, July 27.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

45 total posts (Page 2 of 5)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by chris ham In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

1. If you're worry abour losing data then I would recommand raid-5 or at least do mirroring. But it asks for extra hard disks which cost money and probably doesn't solve your problem of back-up.

2. If your HD space around 50 GB, I recommand Onstream. They got windows 2000 driver out last month and it works nice & fast. Only problem I had was that it requires specific SCSI setting for certain computers (happened to be our company's server). But, when it works, it works nice & fast. If you'relooking for back up more than 50 GB, I would recommand DLT and 8 mm AME technology. However, I had problem restoring files from DLT to NT 4 server. Hope they don't have same problem with windows 2000.

3. My most favorable solution for you would be using Remote Storage Service. RSS move data back and forth from various kinds of media (e.g. tape) to ensure that HD space is utilized properly. If data has not been accessed in a while, it will be moved to offline storage, but the directory information is kept intact

Collapse -

by ebott In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by LynnP In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

The answers already posted are good ones (DLT, DDS-4, etc), but here's another alternative - put in something like a Snap Server (network attached storage from Quantum), and copy the files from the W2K server to the Snap. It's much faster than tape.The newest model offers RAID5, though we've never had trouble with any of the older models - they require almost zero administration, are easy to configure, have good security, and just sit in a corner and do their job. Then do a tape backup of onlycritical files on the W2K box, for additional protection.

For older files, we've trained our users to cut CDs as archives. A CD writer isn't too expensive any more, and CD-Rs are cheap, so it's an inexpensive solution. One caveat - for important files, cut at least two copies, and test both to make sure they're readable before deleting files from the server. Then keep one disk locally, one in offsite storage, and, if the user wants to keep one, let him/her hang on to the third.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by PJSAlpine In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Ed
Assuming (I hate that word) this is a small network with low traffic I would have to agree with the others that sugested using a DDS-4, If they are a bit larger then that I would sugest HP's DLT series.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by steve.hutson In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Hi Ed,

RAID 5 is a partial answer to a very complex question. However, it will not provide a solution if one of the users deletes all the files on a remote partition. The file system will obediently delete all the files and the redundancy will bedeleted at the same time.

I recommend a three-part solution. Firstly, RAID 5 (or 0+1) for basic protection of data (because no one likes to restore tapes) is an essential part of data protection.

Secondly, DLT provides a good tape backup solution for volumes of 40-80 GB. You can backup more data without moving to costly tape libraries if you do full backups on different partitions each night, and do differential backups on all partitions each night. The costs for this involve the tape drive (about $4000 - $5000 for a DLT-8000 drive, depending on manufacturer and internal vs. external) and backup software (Arcserve Enterprise runs about $1500). Arkeia, from the Linux world, has a product for about half the cost.

Finally, I stronglyrecommend using Exec

Collapse -

Collapse -

by amakhija In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

It actually depends on how much data is to be backed up. One solution could be to add a DLT and have the backups automated.The backup scheme could be Full Backup on every Friday and incremental for rest of the week days. or it could be the Full backups on all days.
The backup scheme will be decided by the facts, Total volume of data being changed everyday, Total time provided to Administrator for restoring the data from Backup tapes etc.
In case of incremental backup, the backup is to be verified religiously as any failure in media will result in loss of data.

"Second Copy" can be evaluated for backup purpose.

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
45 total posts (Page 2 of 5)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next