General discussion

Ed Bott's Microsoft Challenge--7/20/2000

By ebott ·
I'm working with a TechRepublic member who recently upgraded to a Windows 2000 Server. He's managed to convince his users to store their data on the server where it can be backed up, but getting all those data files into safe storage has turned intoa struggle. His old DDS-2 backup drive doesn't have the capacity or the speed to do regular backups. What hardware would you recommend? Should he consider migrating older files to Removable Storage? I'll award 1000 TechPoints (and maybe even a cool TechRepublic T-shirt) if I use your advice in my next column. But don't delay--this challenge closes at the end of the day on Thursday, July 27.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

45 total posts (Page 4 of 5)   Prev   02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ddodge In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Having worked backup as an assistant admin, the advantages of server storage is rewarded the first time you restore a user' data. If he can afford it,(not knowing the backup size) get two DLT 4000 drives and set them up as a cascading drive pool(Veritas Backup Exec V8)This would give him 80GB compressed storage and a backup drive in case one blows out. This would allow the entire backup to run overnight an dif it exceeds one tape, it rolls over to the next drive. A small tape library would be a solution as well. The cost is around $3600 for two drives which is less than the newer DLT 7000. If cost is a problem and he doesn't have the data on a fault tolerant drive array, that would be a first priority. He also might want to look at compressing user directories. Which may give him enough headroom to keep the DDS-2 working. Removable storage might work. We cut CD's of user's data when they left the organization. He could do that to legacy data and then the user has it and put'scurrent working file

Collapse -

by ebott In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by techytype In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Obviously at some point the powers that be at his organization saw the wisdom of using a DAT drive. They have outgrown it. Time to move to DDS4, or DDS3 if they want to do this exercise again soon. This would also be a prudent time to archive allthose files that everyone "absolutely must have" but never accesses. Without knowing the size and number of servers and users involved it is impossible to guess whether tape autoloaders would be of benefit or required. Nice toys but if not needed don't spend the money.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by yatish In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

IT is nice that you upgrade your server with Windows 2000 Server and it of course provide you more money in efficient way.
In your case i think you should choose the proper hardware. It may be RAID5 and you should also use proper RAM ( Physical) and Cache to avoid pringile problem.
THe increase of RAM and CACHE is the proper solution and also save the Bandwidth.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by gkleffner In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Ed,
Because this person currently has a DDS-2 tape drive, I will assume that there is a small budget to work with. Removable Storage is bound to make this administrator's life ****. You can be certain that users will start requesting the very data that has been stored on the removable media. I would recommend either a single DLT 7000/8000 tape drive, or better yet, a small tape library based on the DLT drive. The DLT drives are reliable, proven in the field, and provide much better speed/performance. A 10-tape library is available for under $10,000 today. This could provide a hassle-free 2 week backup cycle, and a single tape can store a maximum of 70/80 GB. I'm guessing that this server doesn't even have that much disk capacity. Anyway, that's what I would recommend. Get the tape drive, move the user's data onto the server, and start getting it backed up. Thanks for your time.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by rzorz In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

There's not very much info, but I'd suggest the ecrix tape drive (www.ecrix.com). They've got a nice price promo going on now.

If money isn't a problem, but getting to the backup data is, try www.livevault.com.

If the data is old, but you can't part with it, archive it to tape/CD/zip, and delete it. If you want it available, archive it and also put it on an networked old win95 pc.

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
45 total posts (Page 4 of 5)   Prev   02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next