General discussion

Ed Bott's Microsoft Challenge--7/20/2000

By ebott ·
I'm working with a TechRepublic member who recently upgraded to a Windows 2000 Server. He's managed to convince his users to store their data on the server where it can be backed up, but getting all those data files into safe storage has turned intoa struggle. His old DDS-2 backup drive doesn't have the capacity or the speed to do regular backups. What hardware would you recommend? Should he consider migrating older files to Removable Storage? I'll award 1000 TechPoints (and maybe even a cool TechRepublic T-shirt) if I use your advice in my next column. But don't delay--this challenge closes at the end of the day on Thursday, July 27.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

45 total posts (Page 5 of 5)   Prev   03 | 04 | 05
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mbarros45 In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Not only can I answer your question but I can tell you that my solution works! (At least for my company.)
We have a machine that is connected to the Ecrix VXA-1 external (about $1149.00). It uses VXATape which can store 33GB (66 compressed) and boasts a 6MB per sec transfer rate. We havnt bench marked the drive and im sure it's not that fast for us but it is quick. The tapes run about $79.00 for the 33/66 size. In the same machine we have a CDRW that we use to back up older files that are notcurrently needed but we have to keep around. I think that overall you wont find a better deal for your backup needs. If you are at all worried about how much your solution will cost, this is the answer.

Collapse -

by ebott In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by jamesworld In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Ed,
Be careful of the NAS's (Network attached Storage) devices. Depending upon the volume (missing info :) you might end up hurting your entire network performance by producing double data traffic (in to be saved | out to be backed up). If the network is a 24/7 critical network this excess traffic might cause problems. However, using a good Cisco Switched/Router Network and configuring it properly, you could VLAN the traffic and save the brunt of the bandwidth for the LIVE network.

As far as the tape/CD-x option, that depends upon volume and time. But chose one. If the data is important, remember to keep an offsite copy (sorely forgotten practice these days).

LiveVault www.livevault.com is another solution.

Another missing tidbit Ed: An analysis is needed to determine what type of use the data is for. (ie., Static or Dynamic use) Will the data just be referenced with no change? Or will the data be opened and be modified at all? (Or a mix, and at what percentage?) If it's static a

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
45 total posts (Page 5 of 5)   Prev   03 | 04 | 05