General discussion

Exchange 2003 security "How to".

By TobeJ ·
Hello there,

We are setting up our first e-mail server for our site, we have chose exchange 2003 running on server 2003. I need to get some information / white papers for the security setup for exchange server to connect to the internet in a secure fasion. Our ISP uses checkpoint firewall, I need to find out what is the most secure setup so that hackers / spammers / virusus will not be able to attack our box from outside our WAN but be able to send and receive e-mail. We will only have 1 server, so no frontend and backend server. Only the one main server, we will want to have OWA if possible.

Tx

Toby

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by timkovo In reply to Exchange 2003 security "H ...

The best practice for any exchange server is some sort of antivirus software. Since you only have one server, I strongly suggest Symantec Mail Security 4.0.1. It works with Exchange 2003. We ran into the same problem here at work, we used to have Exchange2000 and the mail security we did have worked fine. Found out only the new version works. This is a great program, unlike a normal virus scanner which can cause problems by scanning the private and public exchange databases. This excludes them, and also adds in a useful tool of filtering mail before it hits your boxes.
Hope this helps

Tim

Collapse -

by TobeJ In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by sunny@home In reply to Exchange 2003 security "H ...

hi,

i suggest to set up your own firewall first.
then u should determine if you really want to receive mail via smtp (incoming mail from other servers). if not close every port in the firewall. if yes you should open port 25 and set up some authentification for incoming smtp connection. e.g. pop before smtp. with this you can prevent spammers to use your mail server as a relay for their junk-mail.
for antivirus i recommend mail-security from gfi.
check out www.gfi.com
your can d/l a trial of the software. after the testing period it runs with fewer features as a freeware!

Collapse -

by TobeJ In reply to Exchange 2003 security "H ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)