General discussion

Favorite user stories for 2004

By zlitocook ·
We are about to close 2004 and I need to hear your best or worst user stories. These can be a great help when the job is getting the best of you. Just by reading about how some one ether made your day or just shut the IIS server down, can make others smile or just shake their heads and say I know the feeling. Just let me know the best or worst user and I will share mine too.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

297 total posts (Page 3 of 30)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

The password

by scottsman In reply to Favorite user stories for ...

I had a director demand that we give him static passwords as he was tired of having to write the new passwords down on sticky notes. An attempt to explain the security dangers of 1. static passwords and 2. sticky notes on his monitor was severly rebuffed. I cannot repeat the language that he used.
Oh and what position did this director hold? Director of security of course.

My first reaction was to use his access to the budget to take a vacation, plane tickets and a 5 star hotel all on the government...but I am too pretty for jail and he still would denamd a static password.

Collapse -

Political Morons

by BFilmFan In reply to The password

Usually a nice phone call from a phone booth to the FBI and NSA gets rids of these kinds of idiots. Never use your name, but just relate what is going on.

Something to keep in mind if you ever run into this again...

Collapse -

Not so fast

by bigboss In reply to Political Morons

You might get someone worse as replacement.

Collapse -

25 cents

by WebWatcher In reply to Not so fast

...for another telephone call.
<grin>

Merry Christmas.

Collapse -

That reminds me of

by zlitocook In reply to The password

A director of MIS who desided that she would keep all her passwords on her and wanted to encrypt them so no one else could read them. This was a Windows 98 network with NT servers a few years ago. So I bought software to encrypt files and other things, it cost $15.000 and was a good buy at the time. When I told her she had to use a password to access the folder she was keeping her passwords in she said I will just use the password file with out the software. :)

Collapse -

HeHe

by yelt62 In reply to The password

When I was leading up the project to migrate to W2K I wanted to test the executives accounts to make sure the migration went well. Guess what, my VP's password was his userid. Of course,I logged off immediately. Know how well our security folks do their job.

Rb

Collapse -

F15 Delete

by CMachine In reply to HeHe

I was part of an inventory dept. at an automotive parts plant. There were 3 of us, one for each shift and for some unknown reason the IT Mgr gave us higher level accounts which made for good reading. Unfortunately the scatterbrain on the nightshift(while he wasn't sleeping) would go through all the files he had no business looking through including the GM master file which just happens to be run every night. While going through the file he must have got bored and wanted to exit the file and being computer illiterate among other things, he saw the option of F15 Delete at the top of his screen, why not eh? The GM master file started its deletion and the entire system crashed. It took the IT Mgr 36 straight hours to rebuild all system files (this was quite a few years ago) and I'm sure from that point on he was more careful about setting up accounts.

Collapse -

Password's confuse the so called clever

by it_netsec In reply to The password

I've had a simplar expericence. I've sent an email in response to my "Big" Boss's request to have everyone send me a new password request that she wanted me to set up. After going around and around with her about how NOT EVEN ME as he one and only system admin should know other employee's passwords, I finally sent the email with all he basic rules she set up. "Do not start with a 1 or 0 all lowercase and any thing 4-7 letters max and NOT the users first or last names. The first request I got was from someone in Management requesting I make their password "00PHILINMANAGEMENT" now my first thought is this must be a test. This man can't think I will make this exception for him when the boss over him set these rules. You know he tried to go over my head to get this password? Had me in a meeting cause I disregarded his request and he was upset and felt disrespected for it. Needless to say we went back to people setting up passwords the old way "expire and replace" still with the same rules of NO 0 or 1 to start and between 4-7 letters. I even missed a confrence call because of his foolish meeting.

Collapse -

If he's your boss....

by AcesKaraoke In reply to The password

Just make sure that his requests for the static password are in writing, so that when the network gets compromised you'll have some documentation.

How many times do you get asked by customers and bosses to do things that are just contrary to common sense? As long as you have documentation and you've warned them of the dangers, your conscience is clear and your future employment is guaranteed (cleaning up the results of their poor judgement down the road).

...and scottman you are never too pretty for jail, haven't you ever dreamed of being Prom Queen?

Collapse -

Look who I'm talking to...

by featherman In reply to Favorite user stories for ...

In a "former life" so to speak, as a Help Desk representative for a major system component manufacturer, I had occasion to deal with Sys Admins / Net Admins / Storage Admins form various small and large IT shops. One call concerned our hardware and the software used to administer storage volumes attached to it. In order to set a given configuration into hardware, a reboot of the system, and removal of attached devices was required. No amount of rebooting (or any other documented or semi-documented tricks, for that matter) would get this hardware to perform as expected. Running some internal diagnostics indicated that our controller was working fine.

The customer elected to call me back the next day, as his schedule did not permit him to continue the support call... Well, he did, and this time with the VAR who sold him the original system present. The VAR and I discussed what we had done (on speakerphone, whith the end user present), and the VAR had the user re-try what we had discussed earlier. As soon as the user shut down the system and attempted to remove the devices, a shout rang out from the VAR: it seems that the server had power management enabled... When the customer was "shutting down" the system, he simply put it to sleep. Leaving the system and devices live. Hot (un)plugging a non-hot pluggable device about five times in the process...

Needless to say, the data recovery folks were very pleased to make this gentleman's acquaintence...

Back to Desktop Forum
297 total posts (Page 3 of 30)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next