General discussion

Favorite user stories for 2004

By zlitocook ·
We are about to close 2004 and I need to hear your best or worst user stories. These can be a great help when the job is getting the best of you. Just by reading about how some one ether made your day or just shut the IIS server down, can make others smile or just shake their heads and say I know the feeling. Just let me know the best or worst user and I will share mine too.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

297 total posts (Page 4 of 30)   Prev   02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

index.hotmail

by house In reply to Favorite user stories for ...

We offer web hosting. One of our clients has registered with the domain "hacks n cracks", or something along those lines. There were a series of phone calls back and forth between us and the user. He kept arguing that he saw the Apache "access denied" page when he attempted to visit the site that he had uploaded. We kept saying "upload your index.html, we can't see it. We can't do anything until that file is there." After much argument between us and the user, we checked out his folder on our server. He was uploading the file 'index.hotmail'. He thought that html was our little short-form for hotmail. Lol - Hacks n Cracks indeed. :)

Collapse -

Good to see

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to index.hotmail

That I'm not the only one dealing with "Rocket Scientists" when it comes to customers.

But you have to have a good laugh when you finally work out what they where trying to do don't you?

Col

Collapse -

by house In reply to Good to see

I couldn't laugh at first because I was in shock. The customer was fairly aggressive with his previous phone calls, so we had to snicker a little bit when we explained the problem.

After the intial two minutes of dumb faces... we were bustin' a gut.

Collapse -

New things

by zlitocook In reply to Favorite user stories for ...

At the bank that I work at we upgraded two servers and compleated the update at the workstations. All users were informed that the updates would keep thier settings and passwords. The upgrade was done and everything went as expected. But we started getting emails that the login for windows was not letting them into the other software. The upgrade was for software the passwords were the same as they used before. I tried to tell them that it was only for the software upgrade but I had to reset all passwords to let them type in new passwords.

Collapse -

Dumb

by Black Panther In reply to Favorite user stories for ...

1. User rang up and said:-

I cannot find my icon ( called Proclient )to login on the desktop.

We said it must be there ( due to policies - they cannot delete it ).

He said I can see another one similiar but it does not say Proclient it says the same as my password.

What he had done was single click on the icon instead of double clicking then typed in his password!!!!

2. Customer rings up and says I cannot log in.

I said are you using a Dumb Terminal or a PC.

They said what's a PC. I said a Personal Computer.

They said no I use works Computer!!!

Collapse -

Great post it reminded me of

by zlitocook In reply to Dumb

When we a group of contractors upgraded FEDMOOG in St Louis, they train and sell their services to auto manufactures. For mechanics, they provide a payper call service. We upgraded Win95, Win98 to XP and coverted all the propritary software to work with XP. All of the help desk calls for the the next week were how do I login or how do I use the program that I use everyday? Every thing was migrated so nothing had changed. They logged in the same way and all programs worked the same way. It turned out that a big wig from a branch office emailed everyone that every thing will change and all employee will need to login and use programs a new way.

Collapse -

Dumb

by Black Panther In reply to Favorite user stories for ...

1. User rang up and said:-

I cannot find my icon ( called Proclient )to login on the desktop.

We said it must be there ( due to policies - they cannot delete it ).

He said I can see another one similiar but it does not say Proclient it says the same as my password.

What he had done was single click on the icon instead of double clicking then typed in his password!!!!

Collapse -

Crazy but true

by kmbelk In reply to Favorite user stories for ...

This is a copy of an e-mail sent by a colleague. It certainly caused a riot in the office when I received it. I hope you enjoy.

"I have a friend who lives out in Sweden and she has a laptop - she went travelling and on her travels seems to have picked up an infestation of some kind or another in her laptop keyboard!!!!

She thinks its fleas but is not 100% sure, she just knows that "beasties" keep jumping out of her keyboard (this is completely true, its not a wind up).

She has tried leaving the laptop in a room and set off a bug bomb (those things that you set off to kill mozzies etc) but they are still there! She has tried hoovering them out but that didn't work either"

Collapse -

bugs

by dryflies In reply to Crazy but true

Were they hardware or software bugs?
LOL

Collapse -

Did they ever find out what they were?

by AcesKaraoke In reply to Crazy but true

Never heard of anybody actually getting infested with any living creature in their computer.

Though I had one cat who always played with and chewed up my phone cords for my dial-up connection. I used to blame poor phone service and dial-up in general for my problems connecting and my sudden disconnects without warning until I found the damage to said wires.

I don't have the cat anymore, but I still have the physical barriers I put up so he couldn't get to the phone line to play with it. I figured I've got kids so I might still need the added security...LOL

Back to Desktop Forum
297 total posts (Page 4 of 30)   Prev   02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06   Next