General discussion

Good Bye IT

By jakcap ·
MCSE for Ten years
Employed for only four years over the last ten years(98-02)at whopping top salary of 35k per year here on Long Island! Replaced by lower costing kid with MCP certification!
Self employed since 02 at near poverty level income!
THE ABSOLUTE WORST CAREER CHOICE A PERSON COULD EVER MAKE!!
NEWCOMERS BEWARE!!!
VETS...GOODBYE AND GOOD LUCK!

WITHOUT A UNION "IT" WILL ALWAYS BE A PART TIME JOB!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

189 total posts (Page 1 of 19)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Well how can I put this.

by Tony Hopkinson In reply to Good Bye IT

Bollocks!

Hey it didn't work out for you, so this is somebody else's fault?

Who told you, you were guaranteed a job and a good income, why did you believe them?

Employed for 22 years out of 22, top salary a smidgeon more than this guy.

To the newcomers , work hard, study hard, look for opportunities and take them not sit around on your *** waiting for someone to give them to you. Do that and some f'ker like me will have them away before you were aware they existed.

If you are thinking of being in IT just for the money, wake the f*** up.

Oh and 19 years in a Union as well, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Collapse -

I have to agree with Tony

by JackOfAllTech In reply to Well how can I put this.

I started out (a long time ago) as an Assistant Programmer. In two years I advanced up to Senior Programmer. Went on to Mainframe Support, then Desktop Support, then Networking. Spent some time as a System Admin. Now I'm an in-house Consultant for a large Bank making nearly 3 times the poverty level. Almost all of what I know I taught myself and proved myself to my employers.

You're correct. If you can't make a go of it, you should get out.

Unions today are just parasites, sucking the life out of our economy.

Collapse -

Hear hear

by Oz_Media In reply to Well how can I put this.

Completely agree, it's the never ending line of incompetent buggers that make finding good paying IT work so easy.

By incompetence I don't mean lack of IT skills, I can assure you that 99.999% of teh jobs I've had were taken from people with WAY more experience and more certs than I, that's for damn sure! I don't even have the piddly MCSE (MCNE though, yay Novell).

I would chase down employers and dig out opportunities where they had staff on hand that could do the job, but due to lack of drive and assertion, I would pick up the work from them.

It's the people standing around with a cert pinned to their chest and their hand held out that seem to be missing the boat.

Collapse -

Certs equal entitlement - NOT!

by tmalonemcse In reply to Hear hear

Many job postings require the degree and the certs. That's how HR weeds down the resumes. It's debateable if that raises the caliber of the applicants.

It's been my experience that larger companies are sticklers for the degree. It doesn't matter how many certs you have.

On the other hand, it's been my experience that most smaller companies use certs to find their techs. They're not so concerned about the degree.

But neither degree or certs entitle you to work. That takes ambition and competence. Does a union make it any better? I don't think so but that's just my opinion.

Collapse -

pretty much agree

by Oz_Media In reply to Certs equal entitlement - ...

Though I have proven the large business seeking certs only to be false, as well as teh HR issue. I have yet to speak with HR for any job I apply for. I contact employers, companies that I want to work for, not just those that are hiring.

I reach teh owner and work my way in by pitching a business plan to the owner. I HAVE had a business owner send my resume through HR, but they take close notice of it and do't bother weeding it out, it WAS given to them by their boss afterall. I have an MCNE (not useful unless in a Novell environment) and dropped out in grade 11, have never been out of work unless due to my own desires or being self employed and taking time off.

I find small companies almost never ask for certs or degrees though, they usually don't want to pay the price and I find they are more likely to get a styaff member to double task (even if clueless) or an entry level admin to do everything for them at a lower salary.

Collapse -

I've read about guys like you...

by tmalonemcse In reply to pretty much agree

So you're selling your services and not really applying for a job. Is that the approach you take? From what I read on your posts, it has been working for you. You are a rarity - a tech that can sell B-)

Collapse -

Correction

by Oz_Media In reply to I've read about guys like ...

A salesman that can tech. :)

Just someone with experience boosting business for people and IT seems to fall into the picture quite often. I just learned to build a few talents, one of which is the ability to find the business owner and sell myself where needed. I am not tech by any means, have an MCNE from a few years back but haven't worked with Novell for a while now.

Collapse -

Yea, Tony but your money

by Dr Dij In reply to Well how can I put this.

over there is worth twice as much! :)

Collapse -

I'll swap my salary for your cost

by Tony Hopkinson In reply to Yea, Tony but your money

of living.

How about 6$ for a pint of beer, OK it's better than what you guys brew, but not that much better.

Collapse -

Poor workers always need a union

by jdclyde In reply to Good Bye IT

The good workers are only held down by a union, where you advance based on how long you have been working somewhere, not how well you do the job.

With your attitude, I would say IT is a better place without you.

Good luck in your next profession.

In 10 years, that was the MOST you can say about yourself, that your an MCSE? No wonder your out of there....

Back to IT Employment Forum
189 total posts (Page 1 of 19)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next