General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Howto structure an IT-Department

by j.petsch ·

hello to everyone,
    i am student, doing computer science with economy as my mayor.
    so i would like to get some experience from the field :).
    at google i did not find any information about the structure and positions of an it-department at all.
    Is there any organisational standard at large companies?
    Which concrete positions are possible? and how is the reality at large companies?How do they organize their IT?

It seems that noone cares about it, because i couldn?t find something even not a single organigram.
    thankx in advance….
    greez
    jo

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

well….

by jbaker ·

In reply to Howto structure an IT-Department

All large companies are going to be different. However, here is what I have seen, in my years in the field.

At the top, either sittingon the board, or close to it is the CIO (Chief Information Officer). He is tasked with control over all things technical. Under him is usually a VP of Information Technologies (or MIS). In some companies this position exists in place of CIO.
      Next would be IT managers, usually one at each site or region. Then it become complicated. Most companies have Network Engineers, then Network and Systems Administrators. Some places use “Data Analysts” instead of Net and Sys Admins. And, of course, the bottom of the totem pole is the help desk and technical support.

Other stuff

by dc_guy ·

In reply to well….

It’s fairly common in large companies to have software development and computer operations divided into two separate organizational units reporting to the CIO. Obviously a lot of activities such as training and user support don’t logically fall into either category, so they just end up in one or the other by historical accident.

thanx

by j.petsch ·

In reply to Other stuff

thank you both. it?s quite interesting to get input from you. thanx a lot…

THank you

by gda.group ·

In reply to well….

thank you very much for these information.
        thanks again

Viewing 0 reply threads