Desktop

General discussion

HP Pavilion ZX5180US Power Problem

By johnsonhw ·
I have a HP Pavilion ZX5180US notebook computer that started shuting down unexpectedly. I have updated the BIOS and uninstalled and reinstalled the power management drivers. Periodically, even though the power cord is connected the computer switchs to battery power, runs down the battery and then shuts down.

Is anyone else having a problem with the power cord. I have used another power cord, checked the voltage and there does not seem to be anything wrong with the power supply.

Also when I use the computerwith part of the bottom exposed the problem is less frequent. My daughter had similar problems and HP "fixed" the problem by installing a new motherboard for big $$$s.

Thank you for your insight.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by drhaji In reply to HP Pavilion ZX5180US Powe ...

It is possible the power jack on the motherboard is not making a good connection. I have had the same problem with the same laptop. I think this problem is common with laptops in general, not exclusive to this one in particular. Fixing it requires disassembly, and soldering the motherboard. To the best of my knowledge, a computer repair shop charages approx $100.00

Collapse -

Same problem - think it's a house electrical issue

by myfyrwall2 In reply to HP Pavilion ZX5180US Powe ...

Hi, I'm hoping you will see this so long after your original post. I have been having the same problem for over a year. I have an HP Pavilion dv8000.

Long story short, it was finally suggested that it may be my apartment's power supply, not the computer itself. I am testing that theory by using a kitchen socket, since the kitchen is usually the best-wired area because of the large appliances. It's too soon to tell if it's working, because sometimes it would go for a month in the old socket with no problem, then go off the power several times in one day.

You mentioned that your computer works fine in your den, not your office, so that also suggests a house circuitry problem. However, I note that we both have HP laptops, which also seems coincidental. I would like to know what luck you had solving this problem, as it has really been frustrating and has been getting worse. Thanks for responding.

-MS