General discussion

I will donate $500

By maxwell edison ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/

That might even buy her a one-way ticket without anyone else's help.

It's obvious she's lying, however, because if she'd rather live there, she could and would live there. What's stopping her?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

49 total posts (Page 4 of 5)   Prev   02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

What do you do

by faradhi In reply to I challange you

What I do see this http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=8&threadID=197375&messageID=2056578.

But what do you do except post on a board and question those who disagree with your opinion?

Collapse -

What do I do?

by maxwell edison In reply to What do you do

Well, I served for six years, and at a time when we were spat upon, called names, and threatened.

What do I do today? Well I support the troops AND I support the cause for which they serve. And I've personally expressed my thanks. Here's another way I do it.

I live in an area with a lot of GIs. Often times when I see a GI, in uniform, with his (or her) family in a restaurant, I'll give the restaurant manager somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 (more or less, depending on the restaurant and number of people), and ask that manager to tell the GI that someone else paid for their dinner with thanks. I've probably spent more than the $500 I offered to the traitor to go to Venezuela.

Collapse -

Then you are one of the few...

by faradhi In reply to What do I do?

That do more than just putting a damn ribbon on their car or flying a flag once or twice a year and say they "Support" the troops.

Collapse -

One of the few?

by Tig2 In reply to Then you are one of the f ...

There are many- VERY many that do as much and more.

I am an ex-Navy wife. Ten years. Marriage failed, primarily because of the detachment time. See, in the Navy, you don't just activate when the cr@p hits the fan, you spend an average of 6 months every year at sea. Could be more, could be less.

During Gulf One, we had some pretty serious issues when the ship finally deployed. People who thought that they could take care of allotments and wills after the ship came home from a five day det suddenly couldn't get that stuff done quick enough or at all. Women who had been working because hubby was around enough to provide part time child care had to quit those jobs as they had to be full time mothers and full time child care was either non existant or too expensive.

Feeding that family became somewhat problematic- women that lost the extra income stream suddenly discovered what it was paying for. Paying rent was equally problematic- that allotment thing. Couples who were engaged but had not gotten married? She didn't exist as far as the Navy was concerned. And getting hubby to send money home required that they be in range to send a telegram money order or purchase one on the ship and snail mail it- average lag time? 6 weeks.

I do today what I did then. Even though I have been divorced from the Navy for ten years, I KNOW intimately what the deployed family goes through. Yeah- we have the requisite ribbons on the car. A flag in EVERY window, and my pink ribbon. We fly the flag every day and keep a light on it at night. But we also work with the Military Family Assistance organisation to provide emergency loans to suddenly deployed families, Food Shelf and groceries to families that just can't swing it this month because the budget was written for gas prices a buck and more less than they are now, or his pay pre deployment was higher and trying to manage to military pay is nearly impossible.

I don't do any of this alone. Virtually everyone in my community gets involved in one form or another. Our local Legion does constant funding drives and they always make goal. Calls for volunteers always result in more people than needed.

I heard a Congressional Medal of Honour winner say something that struck me this morning. In his words, "No matter how you feel about the war, it is critcal that you support the people that fight it." I agree.

I refuse to discuss my opinion of the war. That is not material. What IS important is that I stand up and do whatever I can to support the troops. I am not alone, nor am I one of few.

Collapse -

Well said TT, well said

by j.lupo In reply to Then you are one of the f ...

I don't have family in the military now, but my Uncles were in and I have many friends who have family in the military. I also have friends who serve and I will tell you, I support them with everything I can possible do.

I am sure we all have our 9/11 stories, for me, I was working on a government contract that day. I was on a conference call with people at the Pentagon about our project. The next thing I knew the line went dead. That was the last time I ever spoke to them. They died. They were in the area where the Pentagon was hit.

I have relatives in NY who worked at WTC I and II. I couldn't reach them for days. They found a way out - thank the powers that be. But 3 days of not knowing was very difficult. The lives lost. All the lives, not just those I knew. Sensless killing. I can't understand it and the hate that went into it.

I support the troops because they are doing what they have to, what they signed up to do if necessary, and so much more. Are there a few bad apples, of course, but that goes anywhere. It is important to support those people that do what we cannot or are unwilling to do.

I don't believe I could ever shoot a gun and kill someone, not even to save my own life. Just isn't in me. So I support those that somehow do that and remain sane (I guess). If I can write a letter and give them a venue to talk, so be it. If I can supply a meal to a military family, so be it, if I can see that they have clothes or transportation, so be it.

I certainly can NEVER do enough to repay them for what they give to me.

Collapse -

Tigger I know all too well the troubles of Navy families

by faradhi In reply to Then you are one of the f ...

I grew up in a Naval Family. I remember my mother working two jobs and still barely making enough to feed me and my four siblings. I remember the Community support in places like Jacksonville and San Diego. I also remember the trouble my mother had finding a job in Virgina Beach. I remember my parents having to send us to catholic school (thank the lord for the catholic church's support) because of the way public schools treated children of naval personnel. Granted a lot has changed since then. I still remember.

As for my comment that Max is one of the few that support military families. There are many who support military families in a very real way. I continue to support military families because I do remember how it was.

However compared to the general population and outside military towns, those that actively support the troops are few. I was talking about those who just fly a flag occasionally and tie a ribbon on their car and do NOTHING else. Then they say they support the troops. Those were the ones I was speaking of.

You and all others that support military families in a real and tangible way are the few.

Edited for typos and clarity... i hope...

Collapse -

Maxwell, you're not personally attacked

by rob mekel In reply to I challange you

As I read the posts of faradhi, he is not attacking you on the content and on what you are saying about it. He, and I hope I read that correctly, is just spelling out that there can't be bounds on freedom of...statements.

So do try too not take it personal.

----

On the "support the troops, but opposes the war"
You can't be serious on "support the troops, so be happy with the war" can you?
It would get a shooting bunch, wouldn't it.

And yes you are right that I can't support troops that are shooting just for the likings of shooting. But can you, support troops just for the likings of shooting?

And on the war in Iraq, yes I'm for it as long as it stay's on getting the terrorists and not go on about economics or ... Stay with the reason that you started it for and keep it to that. Be helpfull to get a country organized and get the **** out of there as soon as it's done.

Rob

Collapse -

Further,

Both my neighbor and my sister-in-law know my feelings of the war in Iraq.

They understand what you cannot. Opposing The POLICY that has them in Iraq does not mean I oppose their actions in trying to execute that policy. They do not get to choose the policy. I understand that.

Collapse -

What I would say is....;

I support you and thank you. If there is anything I can do for you while you are putting your life on the line, you only need to ask. I am sorry you have to go.

That is what I would say and have said.

Collapse -

No problem talking with service members,

by WingedMonkey In reply to I challange you

I have talked with wounded vets regarding these same issues. Some do think like you do Maxwell, but not all of them. I know vets who did their tours, lost an arm and a leg and do not beleive this war is just or right. But, if they still had the capability to go back, they would do so.

Yes, members of the millitary do carry out acts, obligations and missions that they do not personally beleive in.
You do not have to beleive in a war to beleive in your country.
You do not have to beleive that the man is right to belive in the office of the President of the United States.

But all that aside, I geuss what is really rubbing me the wrong way is not the issue of who beleives and who doesn't, who supports and who doesn't, its your statements Maxwell that appear to be aimed at taking aways a person's right to have an opinion and to voice that opinion.
Saying that a person's opinion is stupid, bullcr@p, idiocy, fine say away. Heap all the negative comments that you want, but to say a person can't have an opinion or beleive the way that they do, that to me, is oppresive.

Back to Community Forum
49 total posts (Page 4 of 5)   Prev   02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next