General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

IBM T60 laptop: Mouse uncontrollably scrolls at random

by fatmanskinny ·

I have seen this on 3 brand new T60 laptops including mines.

I could be randomly working in a Microsoft application and suddenly, the mouse will crazily scroll in one direction.

When I try to pull the scroll bar down, it shoots right back to the top or bottom. It happens randomly.

I used different USB mice, uninstalled and reinstalled the mouse driver on each machine, checked the mouse options in Control Panel and it is still doing the same thing.

Any idea? Thanks.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Uncontrollable Scroll

by tboneterwilliger ·

In reply to IBM T60 laptop: Mouse uncontrollably scrolls at random

I have also had this problem, but have not come up with a concrete solution. If you unplug the mouse, the problem stops happening, but will eventually come back. I’ve tried BIOS updates, UltraNav updates, installing mouse drivers for those crap IBM mice and nothing has worked. Hooking up a different mouse doesn’t work either. This occurs in other apps than MS as well, I’ve had the scroll bar take off in Lotus Notes. Have you found a solid fix that works? No software or hardware update that I’ve tried has worked. I did put in a call to Lenovo Support, but the problem stopped happening so the support guy said he fixed it. The problem occurred about 3 days later.

Oversensitive Mouse Pad

by kholden ·

In reply to Uncontrollable Scroll

The same thing is happening to several T60 users here including my internal tech support person. He felt that it was due to an oversensitive mouse touch pad and that dirt (such as crumbs from eating while working!) triggers it. I don’t know if I agree but I have nothing else at this point.

I usually reboot and it’s fixed.

Ditto

by shirtbird ·

In reply to Oversensitive Mouse Pad

We’ve had this issue occur with USB mice (MS Intellimice) on both T60s and T4x machines…no fixes, just a reboot like the others. It typically just goes away.

Same issue here

by dan le ·

In reply to Ditto

Folks

We’ve had the same issue here and are still investigating. We believe this to be an issue with the virtual scrolling on the Lenovo T60 range.

You can disable the Virtual scrolling which should stop this issue from re-occurring – This is what we are using as a workaround until Lenovo come back with a fix.

Click Start
          Control Panel
          Double Click the Mouse option
          Select the UltraNav Tab
          Under Touchpad, click the Settings button
          Select Virtual Scrolling
          Un-tick “Enable Vertical Scrolling” and “Enable Horizontal Scrolling”.

Turn off the Touch Pad

by older mycroft ·

Mine seems to interfere with my mouse actions.

Also, if you’ve got a tiny hair in the lens area of the mouse, you don’t see it, but it waves about in the optical beam.

Virtual scrolling

by dan le ·

In reply to Turn off the Touch Pad

In the cases i’ve seen, disabling the virtual scrolling has worked. Obviously, if you use virtual scrolling it will no longer work until its re-enabled.

Out of interest did you completely turn off the touchpad or just the scrolling virtual section?

I am currently using Driver revision 7.5.17.18. Might be that a different driver version presents different options?

laptop mouse hardware problem

by vokaria ·

In reply to Virtual scrolling

Seing the same problem on multiple laptops, all related to the eraser head mouse or touchpad solid connection to the body of laptop or the keyboard. As the laptop is flexed or pressed, the mouse is affected. Also, the dust and dirt need to be removed. My fix for the hard connection problem is to twist a strip of teflon (about 2mm wide) into a thread, and insert under the screws holding the mouse or touchpad assembly in place. The touchpad is trickier, as there is more area to be flexed. If the external mouse is used, simply disabling the internal one will do the trick.

R52 also

by williamcardwell ·

I have the same problem with my ThinPad R52

Fixing erratic mouse

by djeady ·

OK, first I think there are two things going on here. Those who have their cursor taking off madly in some direction should just turn their touchpad off – sometime you just have to get your hand near to it for it to sense movement.

If you have cursor creep on the T60, chances are one of the little screws that hold the strain gauge in place is not tightened evenly.

1. Unplug the laptop

2. Undo the 4 screws on the bottom of the laptop that hold the keyboard – they are clearly labelled.

3. Tilt the wrist rest towards you, then gently lift the keyboard out. Be careful of the cables that are attached to both pieces.

4. Gently tighten the 4 black screws that you can see through the metal cover on the bottom of the keyboard.

5. Reassemble and all should be well.

Mouse scrolls for me too

by jnellis ·

Ok I’m working on T60p that is about 3 weeks old. I’ve tried all different mice including an 1800 dpi Razer Diamondback Gaming mouse (for those of you who know your mouse you know what I’m talking about). I have similar problems with automatic scrolling. I’ve tried updating drivers, reinstalling drivers, changing mouse, rebooting, unplugging and reconnecting….but to no avail. The problem will still come back every now and then. Most of the errors come inside of Internet Exporer, Adobe Audition 1.5 or Outlook. Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks
      Josh

Mouse uncontrollably scrolls at random

by whrudd ·

In reply to Mouse scrolls for me too

Same problem with multiple mice and the vertical scroll thing on a T60. In my case I have noticed when this problem happens it is in sync with the wireless led activity at the bottom of the display. Therefore it seams this problem may be tied to a conflict between the mouse driver and wireless drivers. Possibly IRQ or related interrupt issues. I hope to have a follow up after contact with support.

Mouse Rapidly Clicks

by bobmullaney ·

In reply to Mouse uncontrollably scrolls at random

My problem on my IBM Lenovo T60 is very similar except that the effect is rapid mouse clicking. Anything that the mouse is hovered over will be clicked. Plus, if you are mid-movement, you may have the effect of selecting a body of text and may move/delete it or change the insertion cursor location while typing. Also, if you happen to be over an “X” to close a window, “Send” on an email or “Delete”, the action will be “pressed”. I cannot determine what starts the problem, but it sometimes goes away without any clear cause.

Uncontrollable mouse — T60 EY5

by jplzz ·

In reply to Mouse scrolls for me too

Is there any update on this situation with the ucontrollable mice! I got my computer July 16, 2007. First time this occurred was October 19, 2007.

Here’s a quick fix for this

by suz.klein ·

I have no idea why this happens or why what I’m going to tell you corrects it, but here ya go.

We use strictly IBM laptops in the office I support, which has proven to be a challenge at times!! Whenever a user has this issue I have them unplug the mouse from usb, then just click somewhere on your doc using the touchpad, plug the mouse back in and all is well.

Try this

by joe.donahue ·

I had the same problem with my T60. You may be accidentally locking a shortcut key. The next time this happens, try pressing SHIFT + the down arrow (or maybe the up arrow). That may cause the behavior to stop, at least until the next time you accidentially lock the same shortcut.

quick fix 2

by kevin mcclelland ·

I have had the same problem for years (back to the t4x days). I just poke the mouse keys of the touchpad (or is it the ones for the nipple? the one that has 3..the middle one is the scrolly one) and it stops. i just poke all 3 for good measure. 🙂

Viewing 7 reply threads