General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Impending Winter Storm

by cmiller5400 ·

Just wanted to send my best wishes and prayers to my fellow storm warriors that are in the path of this huge storm.

I’ve already stocked up on food, water and gas (there was a huge line at the pumps yesterday). Snow blower is up and running along with the generator in case we loose power. Ranges in my area are all over the map, but I expect to see at least 12 – 18+ inches where I am.

Best of luck to all. Stay warm, and stay safe!

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

I’ll give you a suggestion

by gsg ·

In reply to Impending Winter Storm

That I gave a friend who lives in Buffalo, NY. Stock up on plenty of adult beverages, your favorite cookies, flashlights and candles, and plenty of good books (non-ebook variety in case the power goes out), and hunker down.

Stay safe and warm!

It should be an interesting weekend….

by darryl~ ·

The sun’s still bright here after a very cold morning (-16 F) but it’s supposed get bad here after midnight, they’re already warning people to stay off the roads & only travel when necessary. Our forecast is for 40 cm of snow with 80 kmh wind so we should have plenty of drifting & power outages….we have our “storm kit” handy & are set to spend the next couple days inside.
      The real fun for us will begin the middle of next week when the temperature goes well above freezing & a rain storm on Tuesday….our flood prone town will be sure to have some major flooding and plenty of washouts….with all the snow & flooding, it sure will make it interesting getting to & from work next week…..oh well, nothing we haven’t been through plenty of times before.

Stay safe & be careful on the roads anyone up here in the northeast.

Wait what storm? nt

by slayer_ ·

nt

“Super Storm” was even reported on the news over here

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to Wait what storm? nt

He’s just being silly….

by darryl~ ·

In reply to “Super Storm” was even reported on the news over here

Winnipeg gets large snow storms often. 😉

Lol 3ft

by slayer_ ·

In reply to “Super Storm” was even reported on the news over here

Big deal, We got more than that in April 1997. We get more than that every year in fact (except 2010).
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Red_River_Flood

It’s bad luck that it’s missing all the places that normally get snow and don’t worry about 3 feet of snow.

3 feet on the ground isn’t such a big deal in Nova Scotia…..

by darryl~ ·

In reply to Lol 3ft

we just have a hard time finding places to put it when it comes in one storm….do a Google search on “white juan” & look at some of the pictures…it shut us down pretty good….this storm is supposed to be pretty much identical. The biggest problem we have with nor’easters is the wind….it takes down the power lines when the branches/trees fall on them…..but we get some bad a$$ drifts from them 🙂

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Juan

Darryl, Slayer: It seems a lot to US!

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to Lol 3ft

England falls apart with a three-inch fall! The last “big” snowfall here stopped all the trains into London for two days. Six inches!. Schools close when there is a fall of a couple of inches. “Health and Safety”

Canada…….

by darryl~ ·

In reply to Darryl, Slayer: It seems a lot to US!

The Great White North…..

Gotta love it eh? 😀

umm no, i don’t

by purpleskys ·

In reply to Canada…….

and you know i don’t love it…grrrrrr….i could love Nova Scotia more too if it had a climate like Vancouver where Oz is.

Shhhhh

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to umm no, i don’t

Bite your tongue! We have enough people here already.

Next thing you know, I’ll be chillin’ at a lake somewhere in the interior and there will be OTHER people there! EEEEEEWWWWW! PEEEE-POLLLL!

Now of course [i]you[/i] are both are more than welcome to come and stay as long as you like, I have plenty of space while you get yourself settled, just don’t tell anyone else.

Always have room for a Maritimer.

I drove her to Vancouver almost 10 years ago…..

by darryl~ ·

after she accepted a position there….she lasted about 3 hours in the city & promptly instructed me to take her back to Nova Scotia 😀
          Thanks for the offer though Oz….maybe for a visit if I can ever convince her to go there again…..BC is very beautiful….I like it.

thanks Oz

by purpleskys ·

just never know when i may get brave enough to go out that way again….maybe if i can get over my fear of flying, we’ll fly out someday. And in all honesty, I encourage ppl to visit, but not to stay 😉

Toronto is said to have been dumped on with a foot!

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to Wait what storm? nt

A quick but heavy dump on Central and Eastern Canada, quite the storm, but they can deal with that stuff there. If it was in Vancouver, they’d be having relief concerts for the idiots who don’t know how to survive or drive in snow.

Was just talking to clients in Toronto and Halifax

by aidemzo_adanac ·

The poor lady in Toronto was shutting down the office and fleeing home to safety. The guy in Halifax brushed it off as nothing new and business carried on as usual. IN Vancouver it would equate to a nuclear Holocaust.

In Vancouver we have sunshine, partial anyway (still a bit overcast) but it was a bit cooler today at just 8 degrees celcius. It should warm up a bit over the weekend and more sun is on the way, of course to be followed by constant rain until the next sunny break. As most Vancouverites will tell you, ‘at least you don’t have to shovel rain’.

So for our Eastern (okay CENTRAL) Canadian neighbours, batten down the hatches, grab a good DVD or sex toy with your partner and settle in for the long weekend. Hopefully the street crews will have it manageable by Tuesday.

It won’t be too much longer and spring will be upon us!

I’m storm weary in NJ

by av . ·

I live out in the Northwest NJ area and so far they say we don’t have a blizzard warning, so thats good. I’m used to snow. I’ve had 3 feet of snow in the past in some storms and it is no picnic. You can’t even open the door of your house, let alone go anywhere.

I think we’ll probably get a foot or more of snow, but I have a great snowblower, so I’m not worried. I feel bad for the people in NY, MA, CT and Long Island. They will get the brunt of this storm.

I’m not liking these horrible storms in the Northeast over the past year. They are pretty devastating. The worst thing is losing your power. Especially now when its freezing cold, because I will have no heat. I hope that doesn’t happen because tomorrow night will be 7 degrees F. Brrr.

AV

Yeah, I know what you mean…..

by darryl~ ·

In reply to I’m storm weary in NJ

we’re supposed to get pretty much the worst of it also & it’s not the snow that I mind….it’s the power outage….if it’s only out for a few hours it’s not such a big deal….it’s when it’s out for a few days. 🙁
        Thank God we warmed up a bit today….it was -27 C (-16 F) this morning without allowing for the wind chill….that’s just no fun when the power goes out & you don’t have wood heat,

oh good lord

by purpleskys ·

the cronological weather photography for the storm has started….don’t be shocked it Darryl makes a webpage for ya’ll to look at afterwards 😉

Well all I can say is

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to oh good lord

Sit down and Enjoy the Show.

Only Idiots go out in things like that. 😉

Col

That’s our plan….

by darryl~ ·

In reply to Well all I can say is

Not even going to bother shovelling the driveway untill tomorrow. It’s only 9:00 AM right now & it’s supposed to last until this time tomorrow so it would be kinda pointless to shovel & have it drift right back in. Most of the stores in town have closed for the day so there’s no real reason to go out anyway…..besides the fact that there’s about a foot of snow in our driveway 😀

well that didn’t last

by purpleskys ·

In reply to That’s our plan….

my brother’s step son showed up and started shoveling about 15 minutes ago (we’ve got some $$ for him too, that’s a lot of hard work). I miss being able to shovel myself out, I always did it myself…oh well. I don’t think it’s going to snow a heck of a lot more but it will likely blow around a lot. I almost think I’m a little disappointed lol

look out the window dear…..

by darryl~ ·

In reply to well that didn’t last

it looks like it’s back. 😉

yeah, i know

by purpleskys ·

In reply to look out the window dear…..

for those that have me on their fb, i’ve posted a few pics, will post more later

I clean my own drive

by gsg ·

In reply to That’s our plan….

By standing at the end of it and holding a $20 bill in my hand. Someone will drive by and shovel it for the cash. I’ll get someone sooner if I hold out some homemade chocolate chip cookies as well.

Luckily, I was no where near this storm.

Oh my…..

by darryl~ ·

an eye just formed of the coast of Nova Scotia…..I hope that puppy’s heading out to sea & not inland !

I don’t recall seeing one in February in the North Atlantic before……this cant be good. 🙁

I hope you don’t get too much more snow

by av . ·

In reply to Oh my…..

One foot is quite enough. We were lucky and only got about 10 inches.

AV

They’re saying just another 4″ or so…

by darryl~ ·

In reply to I hope you don’t get too much more snow

shouldn’t be too bad….lots of wind and drifting though……the little girl (no….not Purple….the 8 yr old) is going to have a blast in the big drifts tomorrow….it is going to be fun. 😀

Don’t see why Purple wouldn’t have fun too!

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to They’re saying just another 4″ or so…

Nothing quite like seeing how deep you can get stuck if you know it’s not over your head! 😀

Actually Nick….

by darryl~ ·

In reply to Don’t see why Purple wouldn’t have fun too!

we have many 5 – 6 foot drifts in the trailer park……I haven’t been around town yet but I suspect there’s a few 20 – 30 foot ones around…..so yeah…..there’s plenty of them out there over her head. 😀

According to the BBC Weather

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to Actually Nick….

On Monday and Tuesday, a following weather system – moving further west – is likely to thaw the snow and cause flooding.

Enjoy…

yup

by purpleskys ·

In reply to According to the BBC Weather

sounds grand doesn’t it….that will melt all the ice that’s already jammed in the river and most likely indeed flood the area. I just love being cut off from town 🙁

OMG

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to Actually Nick….

Seems like a lifetime ago since I saw Sydney snow. Reading all this and seeing US and Canadian news, i feel ALMOST guilty. Today is BC’s first family day. LOOONG weekend. It’s a little overcast but about 6 degrees and getting lighter out. Yesterday was around 9 degrees and sunny, took a drive out to Fraser Valley (cheaper gas). Prob gonna hit White Rock/Crescent beach with friends (nice view to just hang out, US in front of you and BC Mountains ((snow capped)) to the right)and then the track…of course.

Can’t say I miss the snow though, perhaps if I was younger I would, had a lot of snow fun in Sydney.

Viewing 6 reply threads