Question

improve throughput share in NIC

By MorrellF ·
I remember a Regisry Hack which explained how to make the NIC in WXP Pro increase network share.At the moment I am backing up my XP system and it is using only 2.5% of available bandwidth. This is a full system backup and it can take 12 or more hours. I would like to reduce that time by increasing the share the PC/NIC can use.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Network tweaks

by Bruce Epper In reply to improve throughput share ...

Back up these registry branches is you are going to make changes in order to resurrect them in the event the edits cause problems.

To speed up network browsing, navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace and delete the key {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}. This requires a restart to take effect.

Other TCP parameter changes to enhance throughput can be modified under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters. Make the following changes:
GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize REG_DWORD 131400 (decimal)
TcpWindowSize REG_DWORD 131400 (decimal)
Tcp1323Opts REG_DWORD 1
If you have a high BDP (bandwidth of slowest link to machine * round-trip time), you may want to change Tcp1323Opts to 3 instead (to turn on timestamps).

Another option is to use TCPOptimizer from http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe.

Collapse -

Missing info- 2.5% of what media type? What duplex? and..

by cmatthews In reply to improve throughput share ...

..what are backing up to? These are good to let us know what you're up to.

Eg: If you are backing up to a USB drive mounted in a router-based LAN share, I'm afraid only (insert deity here) can help.

Supposing perfection and the backup device has a real CPU, you might expect:
10 meg Ethernet = 1.1 MB/sec
100 meg Ethernet = 11.5 MB/sec
1000 meg Ethernet = 110 MB/sec
(or disk max sustained throughput)

Real world example: West_rn Di_ital has a joke product with a tiny buzzy fan and a Gigbit interface called the Wo_ld-B_ok. Other than marketing, I have no idea why they put a Gigabit interface on this when the ARM CPU in this can only maintain 35% of 100meg (4MB), when the 7200rpm disk inside can crack over 100MB.. They could have done better (and they are not the only ones to peddle this pseudo-promise either..)

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)