General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Internet Explorer CPU 100%

by pierrejamme ·

I have been having this problem for some time. internet explore doesn’t even have to be open for it to occur. Suddenly my computer freezes, and if I can get task manager open (rarely) it shows internet explorer CPU is 99 to 100% and I cannot end the process. I cannot close anything with the X or right mouse on the task bar and exit so i just power it off, count to five and restart.
    If I had to guess it started when I tried the IE7 beta for a few days and then removed it.
    What I have done so far:
    1. Repair office
    2. SFC /Scannow
    3. Uninstall IE, reboot and re-install in Windows Addons.

I have too many programs installed (network administrator) to consider formatting and re-installing XP pro SP2.
    I have Firefox installed, but don’t like using it.

Any ideas how to fix?

Would installing IE7RC1 be an option?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: Internet Explorer CPU 100%

by dumphrey ·

In reply to Internet Explorer CPU 100%

I had this problem at home about 2 months back. I THINK I traced it back to a bad patch. I uninstalled latest few patches/hotfixes and rebooted, and the ran wisdows update again. That seemed to fix me. But to be on the safe side, I would pull the disk and put it in a nother system and do a solid virus scan. I eventually had to reinstall anyway. Sorry Im not more help on this.

by 3xp3rt ·

My first advice is a strong virus scan. If all is OK try to install the new IE 7 from Microsoft?s site.

by pierrejamme ·

Sorry, I should have mentioned. Early on, I did a full Virus scan (Trend Micro enterprise), singer scan, Ewido 4.0 Scan in Safe Mode, Several Spy bot Search & Destroy, Adaware Personal scans.

by pierrejamme ·

Sorry again, that should have been Mcafee Stinger scan, not singer.

by wcp ·

I’d offer you to run MSCONFIG and disable all non-MS services and all startup programs. If this resolves the problem, enable/disable half the services (or programs) at a time to find the culprit.
      Or you may want to run System Restore.

by wcp ·

In reply to Reply To: Internet Explorer CPU 100%

Isolating Services or startup programs requires one boot. From then on 5 more reboots are needed to pinpoint the culprit assuming either one non-MS service or startup program being the cause.

Considering what you have done, the cause might be the NIC. Try a different one.

by pierrejamme ·

WCP:
      I should have said that I had restored to an old setpoint five or six times. although it will be a pain, I will go the msconfig route to see how that goes. The main problem here being that some times it goes for a week or so without a problem and others it may be three or four times a day.
      Plus I have 25 non MS services and 23 processes in Startup. Most of which I need for my job.

by kiltie ·

First of all, may I ask why you are installing BETA PROGRAMS WHEN YOU ARE NETWORK ADMIN?

Leaving that aside, 100% CPU useage is usually down to malware, Auto runs (eh malware scans, defrags), Phone homes, Auto Updates, or M$ itself.

Try the Task Manager to see what is using 100%

As a recovery method, try the non destructive XP re-install:

http://tinyurl.com/hutg5

Watch out for pop ups, they have changed their site recently, they are most annoying. I would change cos of that, on principle, but Fred is such a good source.

It will preserve all your old data, programs and settings, however………

a tip: His SSs refer to a normal install, if you have a dual boot or other type of system install it may be different, mine was, I had to guess 😉

by bigabe ·

A good tool for breaking down what is using what in Task Manager is Process Explorer, go to:
      http://www.sysinternals.com/ProcessesAndThreadsUtilities.html

I have used this to pinpoint what process may be causing CPU and memory utilization issues.

But overall this has all the signs of a virus/spyware. Keep running various types of spyware tools, as not all will cover everything. Ad-Aware by Lavasoft, Spybot are two good ones.

by pierrejamme ·

Kiltie:
      As I said previously IE is 100% even when it isn’t open sometimes. I have run every malware program I can find as I stated in another comment and am finding nothing. I am familiar with langa’s no format re-install, in fact I have used it on other computers, just not convinced yet I should. Still hoping someone else has experienced it.

And finally guilty as charged for running beta. Been guilty of it since windows95 as I was one of the original beta testers.

by pierrejamme ·

Big Abe: I have process Explorer, the culprit is IE 100% when it happens. It can happen even when IE isn’t open.

by hal 9000 ·

If you are correct about IE7 when you removed it there are most likely some pieces of it left in the system which could be causing problems.

I would try Crap Cleaner from here

http://tinyurl.com/rc2fn

and Iolo’s System Mechanic available as a 30 day trial from here

http://tinyurl.com/g2bfq

But only try the standard edition as the only difference with the Pro version is that it has an AV product in it and for a 30 day trial it seems pointless to run it. Run the Registry Cleaner and some of the other cleaning utilities but [b]NEVER[/b] run the remove Duplicate files as this will trash your OS and you’ll need to perform a reinstall if you are extremely lucky but most likely you’ll have to completely reinstall all the software before you have it running correctly again.

I just need to point out the Warning that comes with all MS Beta Products they inform you that they are Beta and should never be placed on any computer that you are not prepared to blow away the entire OS and reload. There is a very good reason for this as every Beta product has the ability to totally trash your OS without a second thought.

Col

by pierrejamme ·

HAl:
      Thanks for your input. I have used ccleaner.exe for some time.
      And yes I must have been asleep when I installed IE7.0 or bored.

I solved my problem just like this…

by mazamack ·

I had this problem for a while. Am running Win2k SP4 on 2.5ghz CPU with 1gb RAM.

As I open new IE windows(browsing multiples sites simultaneously) CPU usage spikes and stays. With about 7 empty(no page loaded) IE windows open CPU stays at about 85%. Nothing hangs/freezes but CPU utilization stays between 80-85%. If I load about 4 YouTube windows WITHOUT videos actually running then CPU utilization stays at 99-100%.

This was never the case for me as I could always open 10+ IE windows WITH videos running and pages loaded.

Nothing else except my AV and Firewall were running. Happened whether McAfee is my AV and firewall, or whether I use ZA for firewall and AVG for AV. I heard McAfee caused this sort of thing but I ruled that out in my case.

Firefox was a little better though CPU utilization still stayed between 50-60% running the same “tests” as above.

How I solved:
      – used FileMon, ProcExp and ProcMon from SysInternals to see what was going on as I ran IE. Now that SysInternals is owned by MSFT these tools are free downloads at microsoft.com.
      – noticed that Spyware Doctor was accessing/running constantly, even while empty browser windows were open with no pages loaded. Literally 10+ Spyware Doctor threads per second. I let this run for 10+ minutes and it never stopped. Obviously, this was cause for the high CPU utilization.
      – uninstalled Spyware Doctor
      – problem fixed

I may or may not re-install Syware Doctor, since I also use many other anti-Spyware tools.

Zom
      Seattle, WA

Viewing 12 reply threads