General discussion

IT Debate: Buyer beware: Windows 2000 li

By itdebate ·
Gartner argues that significant cost increases from changes in licensing for Win2K will drive companies to less restrictive server operating systems such as Solaris and Linux. Do you think the cost of Windows 2000 licensing supports the idea that Microsoft uses monopolistic practices? Have Win2K licensing costs made you consider alternative operating systems? You can read the related Gartner article, which will be posted on 3:00 A.M. Wednesday, at http://www.techrepublic.com/article.jhtml?id=r00620000614ggp01.htm

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

24 total posts (Page 3 of 3)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by computrn In reply to IT Debate: Buyer beware: ...

This kind of reminds me of what finally made me strike out on my own and start my own business. Too many hoops, hurdles, etc from my old boss tends to force me to quit and create my own better solutions.

The quickest one, IMHO, is to get every business registered as an educational facility. Have you seen their discounts! $10,000+ reduced to $1,600 of Level B MOLP.
Anyone needing training???

Maybe some "good" hacker can create a patch to replace MS authentication code with their own. Oops, would that lead to another court case?

Maybe its time to throw more support behind open code OSs and let MS know about it. After all, the diffence between a consultant and a salesman is whether or not you do what is best for the CUSTOMER. And I know which one I am.

Travis B. Creighton
CompuTron

Collapse -

by itdebate In reply to IT Debate: Buyer beware: ...
Collapse -

by TTate In reply to IT Debate: Buyer beware: ...

This situation also points out how convoluted software licensing really is. It is very difficult as an IS manager to ensure that you have licensed 30 different applications correctly (30 apps may be too many, but it may not be enough either for a data processing environment).

It is also difficult to ensure that the vendor selling you the product is telling the full story on licensing requirements. The industry needs to have some kind of software licensing manager certification or standard license language for applications. The certification or education program is very attractive, but how often would it have to be upgraded? How many vendor's programs would you have to know? This is not much different than a certification for inventory management or project management. License management can be a full time position if there is a lot of turnover on applications and systems.

Collapse -

by itdebate In reply to IT Debate: Buyer beware: ...
Back to IT Employment Forum
24 total posts (Page 3 of 3)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03