General discussion

Linux-Windows 2000

By montyo ·
I am running Windows 2000 advanced server using internet sharing. I have a cable modem coming in to my windows 2000 system with 2 network cards. All of my other systems receive their IP via DHCP including my Linux-mandrake system.
Question- How do I configure my network so that I can share files with my Linux, windows network? Is Samba the answer?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

47 total posts (Page 3 of 5)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by lcd4 In reply to Linux-Windows 2000
Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by montyo In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by maillists In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

Samba is the right answer, it has everything you need to access data from windows network at your linux system.

I have set up an Linux Slackware 3.6 with samba as a BDC (Backup Domain Controller) so if Win2k is your PDC you will find in FAQ how to set it up.

Besides, samba come with an administration web interface which runs on a web port, so you can change the configuration very easyly and every parameter is documented via links to the help file.

Runs on a IDE software raid array as afile server for 35Gb of 10thousends of image file (TIF), and rocks over NT 4 in the same hardware configuration.

Go for it !

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by hueyh In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

Since your Linux-mandrake system received IP via DHCP, I assumed that it was installed as a workstation. You are also running Windows 2000 advanced server, so I'm assuming that you want to centralize all files on the Windows 2000 server. If this is the case, you might want to look at Unix service that comes with Windows 2000. This configuration will allow you to share files to both the Windows Workstations (you didn't mention other systems, so I assume they are Windows base) and Linux Workstation. Unless you want to learn how to configure Samba to share files to other Windows Workstations as well, I suggest keeping all the shared files on the Windows 2000 server. The less complicated your network, the less headache you will have to deal with later.

Good luck,

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by twest In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

Yes, Samba is the answer. You can configure a linux machine running samba to participate in a windows environment. To do this, you have to make sure the smb service is running at startup, then you have to correctly modify your samba configuration file (/etc/smb.conf) to suit your needs. The file usually has a number of commented lines which give basic instructions on how to configure the file. Also, there are a number of books on the subject. However, I have found that the best source of info on for this is the samba web site (http://www.samba.org). Follow the "documentation" link at that web site, and you will get detailed inormation on how to configure samba. When you have edited and saved the smb.conf file, you will want to test all of the parameters of the file, to make sure everything is correct. To do this, issue the command "testparm /etc/smb.conf" without the quotation marks. If you recieve no errors, then you are ready to re-start samba to initiate the changes. To do this, issue the command "samba restart" without the quotation marks. Once this is done, you should be able to create shares in the directories specified in the smb.conf file, and make them usable to windows computers on your network. Another thing you will have to watch out for is permissions. You can create public shares and give permissions to everyone, or you may want to create users on the linux system, and give permissions only to those users.

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by Linux Surfer In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

You have pick an excellent version of Linux
here is a copy of the file that i use for connection from NT4, 2000, 95/98 and linux workstations.

[global]
log file - /var/log/samba/log.%m
comment = server
default = share
netbios name = server
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
security = share
server string = Samba Server
unix password sync = no
encrypt passwords = no
map to guest = never
password level = 0
null passwords = no
os level = 0
preferred master= no
domain master = no
wins support = no
dead time = 0
debug level = 0
load printers = yes

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = no
guest ok = yes
hosts allow = 192.168.0.*(depends on ip used)

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
print ok = yes
browseable = no
public = yes

[share]
path = /home/share
read only = no
guest ok = yes

please note the line with the comment, you may be using a different ip address, dont put in the bracketedcomment. copy the original smb.conf to a backup directory and start off with only the above text in the file, restart your system and you should be able to see the server in your network neighbour hood and the home directories

good luck

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
47 total posts (Page 3 of 5)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next