General discussion

Linux-Windows 2000

By montyo ·
I am running Windows 2000 advanced server using internet sharing. I have a cable modem coming in to my windows 2000 system with 2 network cards. All of my other systems receive their IP via DHCP including my Linux-mandrake system.
Question- How do I configure my network so that I can share files with my Linux, windows network? Is Samba the answer?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

47 total posts (Page 5 of 5)   Prev   03 | 04 | 05
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by Aaron V In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

Samba is the answer, what is the question? Do you want to share files FROM Win2k to Linux (use Samba client on Linux). Do you want to share files from Linux to just the server (use a variety of items - Samba on Linux, Unix services on Win2k, othernfs software on Win2k). Share Linux to all (use Samba on Linux) OR:
Share the info as above to the server only, then use the sharing capabilities of Windows2k to share out to you client machines. This is the approach of the Gateway services for Netware. This allows you to have only one server for people to connect to, then the server handles all connections to the Linux system.

HTH
-Aaron

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by montyo In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by tim.wieland In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

Samba for sure - best solution for your setup.

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

by rovok In reply to Linux-Windows 2000

Dear Montyo,

i think it is not necessary to mention that Samba is a quite good Way to access Linux Files via Windows Clients, because it has been mentioned very often here. It is very easy to configure. Just edit /etc/samba.conf and activate it in /etc/rc.config . Some Postings above, was a good sample of a Samba Config File.

Rovok

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Linux-Windows 2000

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
47 total posts (Page 5 of 5)   Prev   03 | 04 | 05