Software

General discussion

Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 Problem

By R. A. Caluste ·
Just recently, our users in the intranet have been complaining about the behavior of the Microsoft Outlook when, from time to time, it displays "Requesting data from Microsoft Exchange Server". It will timeout and eventually freeze.

At first, I thought it was purely a DNS issue when several clients cannot resolve the server hostname. That has been fixed already but the problem remains.

I checked out several knowledge bases and came across issues with disabled accounts (that's been fixed by giving rights to self), black hole router (complaints are coming from within the intranet, same network segment as the exchange server).

Access to OWA at this stage (since nobody can open MS Outlook) is also a failure.

Also at this point Dismounting the private mailbox store (hoping to run isinteg.exe) will stop at 66% and freeze.

When trying to restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, status will remain to "stopping" and will never reach the "stopped" status.

Running the Performance Monitor before the problem yields the following observations (during the time the mail service fails):

Microsoft Exchange RPC request = 2 (across time!)
Microsoft Exchange RPC operations/sec = 0

Network bytes received/sent, %Processor Time, Paging is normal.

Looking at the Event Log, I usually see 7011 events.. DNS and BINLSVC both times out waiting for a transaction response. Netlogon returns a warning: Dynamic registration of DNS records fail because no DNS servers are available.

Running a Netdiag /v /test:dns will yield a PASSED report for the dns server. Further verification at the DNS snap-in will yield an online and active DNS server.

(cont.)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by R. A. Caluste In reply to Microsoft Exchange Server ...

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by jaboy78 In reply to Microsoft Exchange Server ...

Dont skip the step below:

1) Uninstall all IIS from ur Win2k server on the ADD AND REMOVE PROGRAM.
2) Installed back IIS.
3) Update Win2k SP4.
4) Re-install Ms Exchange 2000 server
5) Update Ms Exchange 2000 server SP3.

Hope this works

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by RiverFreight In reply to Microsoft Exchange Server ...

A) The stuff is not set-up
Get up a version of Access, Clear the window in the Start-up, hit the enter on the adding machine face, then go to Veiw and click; now go to toolbar and click;go to web and click, then hit the enter on the adding machine face - this is the only enter on the keyboard that is only enter - use the search on the toolbar and and where it asks for 'what' put "DOS"; where it asks for 'where' put "Home"; when the search is done select Two-Byt DOS and then hold down control and hit enter on the adding machine face.

What is not commonly known now or even in the past is that the computers had to have a lot of set-up work done before they were considerable as ready to use.

Next, there is a need to look intoand seriously address the fact that none of the people in that Company may have any training on how to use the stuff there and are just muddling along, so a training and basic computer instructional course needs to be initiated.

This actually hurts - check the wireing in the building with SOMEONE YOU bring in and do the same with the TELEPHONE system. Common basic problems. You'll have to do this to insure that you've covered the easy stuff, like fuses in the hardware and the fact that it isplugged up right, all these addressed then I'll leave you to the hard stuff.

RIVER FREIGHT

Collapse -

Sorry, I think the answer is not related to the question.

Collapse -

How numerous do i need to do eseutil and isinteg? I've been doing it from time to time but the problem keeps on coming. And as soon as the database becomes consistent, how long will it remain consistent before it needs recovery again?

Collapse -

In the 7-23-2003 Comment you introduce a new problem; are your periodic system refresh parameters set so you don't have to continually do Recoveries; Also you describe an unset-up system - not hardware, although that can be addressed too if necessary.

RIVER FREIGHT

Collapse -

Thanks for the suggestion, but I need specific solutions on Microsoft Exchange Server 2000.

Collapse -

In the 7-23-2003 Comment you introduce a new problem; are your periodic system refresh parameters set so you don't have to continually do Recoveries; Also you describe an unset-up system - not hardware, although that can be addressed too if necessary.

RIVER FREIGHT

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer