Software

General discussion

Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 Problem

By R. A. Caluste ·
Just recently, our users in the intranet have been complaining about the behavior of the Microsoft Outlook when, from time to time, it displays "Requesting data from Microsoft Exchange Server". It will timeout and eventually freeze.

At first, I thought it was purely a DNS issue when several clients cannot resolve the server hostname. That has been fixed already but the problem remains.

I checked out several knowledge bases and came across issues with disabled accounts (that's been fixed by giving rights to self), black hole router (complaints are coming from within the intranet, same network segment as the exchange server).

Access to OWA at this stage (since nobody can open MS Outlook) is also a failure.

Also at this point Dismounting the private mailbox store (hoping to run isinteg.exe) will stop at 66% and freeze.

When trying to restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, status will remain to "stopping" and will never reach the "stopped" status.

Running the Performance Monitor before the problem yields the following observations (during the time the mail service fails):

Microsoft Exchange RPC request = 2 (across time!)
Microsoft Exchange RPC operations/sec = 0

Network bytes received/sent, %Processor Time, Paging is normal.

Looking at the Event Log, I usually see 7011 events.. DNS and BINLSVC both times out waiting for a transaction response. Netlogon returns a warning: Dynamic registration of DNS records fail because no DNS servers are available.

Running a Netdiag /v /test:dns will yield a PASSED report for the dns server. Further verification at the DNS snap-in will yield an online and active DNS server.

(cont.)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by RiverFreight In reply to Microsoft Exchange Server ...

Until you address the reality that your equipment - the Hardware - that you took out of the box is only running on the BIO's & I/O's Chips all your software isn't going to work worth a darn. YOU TOOK IT OUT OF THE BOX PLUGGED IT IN AND TURNED IT ON; THEN WHAT DID YOU DO OR HAVE PAID TO DO???? I can pay for anything and still it won't work well unless all the things also so are working correctly. GO LOOK IT UP: PHONE IBM anmd ASK THEM, tell them that River Freight sent you too.

RIVER FREIGHT

Collapse -

by R. A. Caluste In reply to Microsoft Exchange Server ...

It was running for two straight years until this happened just recently. The DELL engineers helped set it up. All other softwares are working fine. And btw, it is DELL, not IBM.

Sorry, but I am looking for a more relevant answer.

Collapse -

by a.grogan In reply to Microsoft Exchange Server ...

I have a solution that may solve your problems, but I need some further information, and depending on the info the solution might be quite lengthy to type, if you wish e-mail mail me at a.grogan@flangemanifold.com.
Andy.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by adambolter In reply to Microsoft Exchange Server ...

i don't know if you have tryed to reinstall over top of it, to try and fix what ever errors have caused it, or if you have tryed to save all that you can and do a clean install of it again? but you know what ever you can afford for downtime....

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by J_vanGulik In reply to Microsoft Exchange Server ...

Hi Ronald,

Your problem is likely not with the exchange databases. I suspect strongly there is something wrong with the exchange server's communication with the DNS servers and/or the domain controllers. The event log messages are giving you a clue.

What you need to know is the following :

1. are you running DNS on your domain controllers with active directory integrated zones
2. if not, is it on a system that supports dynamic DNS? (event log indicates that the dynamic dns registration is failing)
3. if not, did you manually create the required entries in DNS to support LDAP and GC lookups
4. what DNS server entries are set in your network adapter's TCP/IP settings
5. are your domain controllers up and running? (try rebooting them).
6. what about the network path to your domain controllers? Try a cmd window on your exchange server and run nslookup. Does everything look like it is responding properly?

Look at MS KB article 329817. Confirm the event log messages to see if that is your situation

Also 317411 - XADM: How to Gather Data to Troubleshoot Exchange Virtual Memory Issues. This is not as likely, but try it if you run out of options

You can send me an email through the peer directory.

Collapse -

by R. A. Caluste In reply to

Thank you for your suggestion.

Collapse -

by allen In reply to Microsoft Exchange Server ...

Question: what sort of errors are showing up in the event viewer? Does your Dynamic registration of DNS records fail because no dns servers are available after a server reboot? If so this is just a error meaning that netlogon service needs to start first.

Are you running ArcServe? If so shutdown this as I have found that when suggesting down exchange I need to shutdown ArcServe first.

Are you getting any other errors? From the desktops of the machines in question can you ping the exchange server? Ping it I mean by it's name e.g. exchange (no domain)

Collapse -

by R. A. Caluste In reply to

Thank you for your suggestion.