Software

General discussion

Microsoft yanks Office 2007 from online store

By The 'G-Man.' ·
I think I told you so a while back this would happen, well....

Microsoft has yanked most versions of Office 2007 from its US online store, after missing its deadline to remove a patented technology from the software.

Visitors to the site looking to purchase the complete Office 2007 suite are currently limited to individual applications, with all other PC and Mac versions accompanied by the message: "this product is currently unavailable while we update versions on our site. We expect it to be available soon."

- lool as the say:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_PC_Pro/dir_284/it_photo_142102_52.jpg

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

How do you know

by The 'G-Man.' In reply to Office 2010

that the offending technology was not included within the 'build' of 2010?

Collapse -

it was, but they started taking it out some months back

by Deadly Ernest In reply to How do you know

when it started to look like they'd lose the case.

Collapse -

I think they've already settled that.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to How do you know

The original suit was filed well before O10 development was very far along. MS has already said it won't be included in O10. You can take that for what it's worth, but it will certainly be one of the first things checked for.

Collapse -

Still shown as available on TechNet Plus downloads

by john3347 In reply to Microsoft yanks Office 20 ...

Office XP, Office 2003, Office 2007 and Office 2010 are all shown as "available" on TechNet Plus download website. Are these last three (2003, 2007 and 2010) with or without the offending code?

Collapse -

Only present in 2007.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to Still shown as available ...

XP and 2003 do not have it. If they have 2010 listed for download, be aware it is a 'beta' or pre-release version.

Collapse -

TechNet Plus

by The 'G-Man.' In reply to Still shown as available ...

I assume they can't remove if from there as you paid for it / have the licence already. Not a 'new buy'

Collapse -

MS is not allowed to sell any more copies, but retailers and

by Deadly Ernest In reply to Still shown as available ...

wholesalers can still sell copies and licences which they've previously bought from MS. And that's what you're seeing - licences previously sold to others still being offered for retail sale.