Windows

General discussion

MS KB840987 hotfix causing BSOD

By dclowers ·
I recently had a Dell GX150 system running Win2K SP4 just start blue screening at the splash screen and rebooting itself for no apparent reason. It would boot in Safe Mode but thats it. After wiping the drive and reinstalling Windows, and all the myriad of patches, it continued to do this. After another reinstall, I finally noticed it was doing this only after running Windows Update. So I booted to Safe Mode and removed the latest Hot Fix that was on the system, KB840987. The system booted fine. I have had this happen on three other Dells since then. After Automatic Updates run, they are hosed. All I do is boot into Safe Mode, uninstall KB840987, and reboot and they work fine. Most of my other machines are not affected by this. I'm really starting to hate freaking Microsoft.

Has anybody else been seeing this?

DC

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Auto Updates for Some Systems

by jrice In reply to MS KB840987 hotfix causin ...

It has been a known issue with some auto updates and companies like dell, gateway etc. This is why I hate this feature and usually turn it off. As far as I know this has been an issue for some time however and has always related to Win2k

Collapse -

0x0000007F (UNEXPECTED _KERNEL_MODE_TRAP)

by support In reply to MS KB840987 hotfix causin ...