Question

MSI 925X Neo 2 Platinum - Bootup Problems

By doug_halls ·
Hi all,

Ok, I'm at the end of my rope! For the last 2 months or so, I've had an issue with my system. While using it, or sometimes when booting up, I would lose signal to my monitor, and it would go to standby. As the problem progressed, the monitor would not even come on during the bootup process. Well, for about the last week or so, the monitor does not come on at all. So, I thought it might be a video card issue, so I borrowed a compatible card from a friend to test with - but it isn't working either.

Then I noticed the LED message on the D-bracket. I've searched online to see what it means, but I can't seem to find info on this specific message:

Red Yellow

Red Green

Can someone please tell me what this signal means or otherwise suggest what I should do?

Cheers.

P.S. It's definitely not the monitor. I've got dual monitors and they both lose signal at the same time.

P.P.S. Also, today I tried reseating all the connections in the system, and I noticed that the main power connection from the PS to the MoBo (don't know what it's called, but it's like wide power connector with maybe 24 sockets in it) has a plastic socket that is kinda brown in color on the outside...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

17 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Try opening the BIOS again

by OH Smeg In reply to Update: Progress?

And setting it to Performance Defaults.

Sometimes there are settings in the BIOS which don't seem to be involved but do some strange or unexpected things.

Also check the CPU Speed there and make sure than both the Multiplier and Frequency are correct. It is possible to set the Frequency too low and the Multiplier too high to get the correct CPU Speed but have th CPU Drastically underclocked which slows things down drastically.

Col

Collapse -

Check out the stability problems

by Jacky Howe In reply to Update: Progress?
Collapse -

Two steps foward, two steps back...

by doug_halls In reply to Check out the stability p ...

Ok, so I looked at the bios. I think the multiplier was ok - (200 x 16 [= 3200]). As for the frequency, I wasn't really sure which figure to look at, so, I'm not sure.

I switched the setting to 'performance mode', but then the system wouldn't post into Windows. It would stop during the bootup, but I could still tab into bios. When I changed the settings back to 'fail-safe mode', windows booted upon a restart.

As for for Bios version, it's 1.5, and the latest (I think) is 1.7, so I'll try to figure out how to flash it.

But yeah, it's extremely slow. Takes about 5 mins to get into windows, and when the chime rings in, it sounds reallllly slow, like 50% speed. This happens too when I'm in windows (ie. if I try to play a song or whatever, the speed is constantly slowing down, speeding up a bit, slowing down again...). It's weird though, because I open some apps and they start up almost at regular speed, but for others it takes literally almost 10 minutes.

This is getting frustrating, but at least things are narrowing down!

Collapse -

OK the BIOS Update is available here

by OH Smeg In reply to Two steps foward, two ste ...

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=155

But pay attention to the Warning listed there it reads as follows.

Special Note:

The BIOS files provided here are exclusively for MSI products. MSI takes no responsibility for any damage caused by improper use or lack of technical expertise. If you can not see any BIOS file below, please use the tools listed at the bottom of the page for updating your BIOS. When using these tools to update your BIOS, please stop all other work in progress to avoid update interruption.
Attention:

Users who download BIOS from here (not using Live Update) should use the flash utility included in the downloaded compressed file when doing the BIOS update. To avoid BIOS update failure, please do not use older versions of the update utility or utilities not provided by MSI.

So you need to use the Flash Utility included in the Download and boot off a Floppy Boot Disc after you have first Unzipped the Award Flash Utility and Data File and copied these to another Floppy.

When you get the A Prompt switch Floppies and type in DIR/W then Enter and this will display a list of the files on the Floppy. You need to make a copy of the 2 Files on this Disc and then type in the EXE Files Name followed by the Data Files Name.

Now depending on how this particular Flash Utility works what should happen is that it starts to run and then asks you do you wish to update the BIOS and if so what File do you want to use here you enter in the exact Name of the Data File that you wrote down previously that was on the Floppy and then press Enter.

You should then be prompted with a question of Do you want to make a Copy of the Old BIOS to which you should press the Y Key and when prompted for a Name type in Old.

The Utility will then first save the Old BIOS to the Floppy and then write the New BIOS to the EPROM. If you are shown a message that you have the wrong BIOS Do Not proceed with the flash exit the procedure and look at the MSI Web Site again and get the correct one. If you use the Wrong BIOS it will stop the M'Board from starting.

You will then need to clear the BIOS so change the Jumper on the BIOS Clear Header Pins and allow it to clear. You will also need to know what your CPU is as that Multiplier is Wrong the CPU Frequency will be either 400 or 800 MHZ so the Multiplier should be set to X 8 or X 4 not X16 to give you a frequency of 3,200 or 3.3 GIG.

Col

Collapse -

Can I use USB instead?

by doug_halls In reply to OK the BIOS Update is ava ...

First of all, many thanks to everyone pitching in, especially to you, Col.

I have a question though: Can I flash the bios from a USB drive or something? I don't have a floppy drive in my system.

Collapse -

Yes the BIOS here should support Booting off a USB Device

by OH Smeg In reply to Can I use USB instead?

Though you would need the Dos Boot Files in the Root of the USB Thumb Drive and then copy the BIOS Flash and Data file to a Folder that once the system boots off the USB Drive you would need to use the CD command to change Directories to the folder where the BIOS Files are and then run the Flash Utility.

Col

Back to Peripheral Forum
17 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02

Related Forums