General discussion

Networking

By jchabtraining ·
I have a windows XP Pro and a Win98SE. They are connected by a hub, which is how they connect to the internet, with a cable modem, w/dynamic IP addresses. The internet connection works fine. My problem is my network. They don't see each other. I used network setup in XP and used the XP disk to set up the Win98 Computer. I ran the scan in network troubleshooting on the xp computer and got these messages: [0000000 Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection FAILED
DefaultIPGateway = 68.169.236.1(Same Subnet) (FAILED)
Pinging 68.169.236.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 68.169.236.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

DNSServerSearchOrder (FAILED)
24.52.223.218 (FAILED)
Pinging 24.52.223.218 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 24.52.223.218:
24.52.223.219 (FAILED)
Pinging 24.52.223.219 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 24.52.223.219:
Can anyone tell me what to do to fix this. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Networking

proceding via email.

Leopold

Collapse -

by jchabtraining In reply to

I put your email here, just in case someone else needs the same help. Thanks again.

then the following has to be done:
1: ask them for a 2 ip's in the same range. (explain that you have a network and you need to access the pc's to via the network. Drawback no firewall for the win98 (unless you use zone alarm)
2: install a second network card in the xp machine, and use that as a gateway for the win98. (the second nic of the xp as well as win98 will receive a 192.168.0.x address. The drawback is that the xp machine has to be on for the win98 to access the internet. 3. buy a hardware firewall. it has a wan port (that's will go to the cable modem, and some lan ports. those will connect to the machines , and those will have the 192.168.0.x address and therefore they are on the same lan and can access each other. This will cost of course a bit of money, but it's the most secure (both pc's are behind a firewall, and both can access the internet indepently from each other, and they are on the same lan.

Leopold

Collapse -

by jchabtraining In reply to Networking

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
13 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02