General discussion

Networking

By nguyen481 ·
How can i network my laptop to my personal computer at home. Do i run it through the ethernet card or hub? Can you give me a step to step on how to network my laptop to my desktop

Thanks,
Hai

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

16 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Networking

by Shanghai Sam In reply to Networking

I have something to add after these users' answer. First of all, if you want to share Internet Connection, then of course, you need TCP/IP for both computers as their protocol. Also, if you are only connecting only the laptop, and your desktop PC, then you probaby don't need a hub, unless the distance between your PC and the laptop is too great (over, then you might need a smart hub to amplify the signals that your two computers send to each other. Also, if you are networking these two computers, get Ethernet card that support both coax and UTP cable with the RJ-45 connector. If you are using UTP cable, select select Category 4 UTP cable. They support up to 10 Mbps. Also if you want faster speed, you can buy 100 Mbps network cards, but youhave to make sure both network cards are 100 Mbps or they will run at the speed of the slower card. In that case, you need Category 5 UTP cable and you also have to make sure that your hub supports 100 Mbps too.

Collapse -

Networking

by slam86 In reply to Networking

I have something to add after these users' answer. First of all, if you want to share Internet Connection, then of course, you need TCP/IP for both computers as their protocol. Also, if you are only connecting only the laptop, and your desktop PC, then you probaby don't need a hub, unless the distance between your PC and the laptop is too great (over, then you might need a smart hub to amplify the signals that your two computers send to each other. Also, if you are networking these two computers, get Ethernet card that support both coax and UTP cable with the RJ-45 connector. If you are using UTP cable, select select Category 4 UTP cable. They support up to 10 Mbps. Also if you want faster speed, you can buy 100 Mbps network cards, but youhave to make sure both network cards are 100 Mbps or they will run at the speed of the slower card. In that case, you need Category 5 UTP cable and you also have to make sure that your hub supports 100 Mbps too.

Collapse -

Networking

by nguyen481 In reply to Networking

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Networking

by TomSal In reply to Networking

Geez why does everyone make a simple thing so complex. Use two nic's, you don't want a null connection (that is when you connect with a serial connection without any Network Interface Card (NIC) - its painfully slow..how slow...about 19200 bps...yeah..my thought exactly..).

Another note on the 19200, people will tell you about 115200 or other such bps speeds, this done with compression standards and basically its an illusion because its not constant - though some may think so. Just like did you ever see your analog modem connect at 115200? And you really think its transferring that fast? Its not, has to do with something called BAUD and flow control.

But anyway..you want a CAT 5, anything less is just stupid..CAT 5 is the de facto standard and its not the expensive either (offers up to 100mbps too). Then you can use the built in peer to peer functionality of Windows 9x or greater.

Oh and they are right though, you'll need a crossover if you go nic to nic with no hub. Don't try to make one (not that you would) because what that one guy failed to tell you is different grades and makes of CAT 5 have different wiring schemes (this is something I learned by experience by the way).

Take care.

Collapse -

Networking

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Networking

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
16 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02