General discussion

Norton 2002 will not load

By Joey325 ·
I have a clients computer that is running Win XP Home version. I have on numerous occasions attempted to install Norton Utilities 2002 on that computer but the setup.exe refuses to move into the Installshield extraction mode. I have tried cleaning out the SysTray, and closing all non-essential processes in the Task Manager. I have even considered corrupted files and done a reinstall of WinXP (not as easy a task as previous versions). I am wits end. I would appreciate all suggestions.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Norton 2002 will not load

Since you still haven't given us any REAL symptoms or answered the question about error messages, I'll guess I'll shoot in the dark some more.

What does setup.exe do other than "refuse to move into the Installshield extraction mode?" Are you getting any error messages from Norton?

Are you installing from an original CD or from the one archive copy the Norton license allows you to make? Sometimes the install files can be corrupted during the CD burning process.

If an installation program bombs, it usually leaves several warning and error messages in Event Viewer (under Application Log if the problem was caused by the installation routine or under System Log if the problem was OS or hardware related). What do your logs show? Look at the normal information entries also as sometimes these can lead you to where the problem exists.

And as Question 5 asks, are you having any problems installing other programs?

BTW, you really ought to try to be nicer to the people tryingto help you for FREE. You're only allowed to abuse Tech Support when you're paying for the service.

And BTW, you ought to get your webmaaster to fix your website (www.sharpswords.com) or at least put up "Under Construction" signs. You aren't going to get many hits when ALL your links are busted.

Collapse -

by Joey325 In reply to Norton 2002 will not load

I have answered all of the questions asked, and I have provided exactly all of the information that is currently available to me. I double click setup.exe and then nothing else happens. Windows Task Manager shows setup.exe on the processes tab with 0% CPU cycles occuring. The log shows no errors whatsoever. I am using the same exact CD that I used to install to my own personal WinXP Pro system. I have Norton Utilities 2002 on my own system, and it runs great which is why I was trying to installfor my client.

I only come to use this board when I have totally exhausted my own thoughts and solutions, so being treated as a "n00b" is not overly appreciated. If I hadn't already tried the basic solutions then I wouldn't come here to this board. Your just upset because I called you on your treatment of me.

I am the webmaster of my site. It is not a commercial site, but an informational and fun site, therefore I am not overly worried about how many hits I get or don't get. That is why there is no cgi counter.

Collapse -

by Joey325 In reply to Norton 2002 will not load

Next time you run into a problem trying to install a program and it won't run or load here's the real solution: Delete the InstallShield folder from the Common Files folder. Just about every program uses some version of InstallShield, or some of theInstallShield files so with all those different programs accessing the same thing something is bound to be corrupted. A simple delete of a folder fixes the entire problem. (Restart only if you have a system that just doesn't like you)