Networks

General discussion

Novell 4.11 Installation

By martinicolleeni ·
I am trying to install Netware 4.11 on a 400mhz box with no O/S I am using the first disk of Dos 6.22 to fdisk and make my 15mb primary partition and set it active. Anyway I am skipping some of the other details. Once I get the install to start, when I get to the point where you choose simple or custom setup. I press enter and I get a message that says there is know partition let alone an active one. But really there is. Anyway it gives the option of going on with the install, so I go on, the files start copying to the hard disk. When they complete Server.exe starts and I get a screen that says please wait looking for drivers. Well it is really locked up. If I go into the system console it says my server has abended: The message said the cpu encountered a problem in code and the Install.nlm. I tried going back and making my partition as large as I could and making it active. All this did was give me another message during Install that said my partition was only 11mb and it needed to be 15mb The partition

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

by ctmoore1998 In reply to Novell 4.11 Installation

Try this start with a clean drive. IE fdisk your HHD and remove all partitions. Using your dos diskettes create a 100 MB partition and set it active. Now you need a DOS 6.22 bootable disk with the files required to get your CD-ROM functioning if you are installing from a CD, then you should be able to install the Novell to the server. Please note that since DOS wasn't install to the partition then you have to have the boot floppy to boot the server. I recommend installing DOS to the partition so that it is DOS bootable, and you don't have to have a floppy to boot the server.

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

by martinicolleeni In reply to Novell 4.11 Installation

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

by hrossi In reply to Novell 4.11 Installation

Agree with all other answers, the partition size of 16mb is too small. At the minimum it should be 64mb. Some make it 100mb over the amount of RAM on the server. Start by removing all the partitions with fdisk, reboot with the 6.22 floppy, run fdiskmake the partition as large as you can leaving significant size for Novell. Make sure the partition is active in fdisk, reboot. Now format the DOS partition you just made with 'format c: /s' and reboot again, this time go into the motherboard setup and change the boot sequence to boot from the hard disk. Make sure you have all the drivers you need for the cdrom and start your install again. If the install continues to go south on you I would suspect one or more of the hardware components of theserver. Start checking for any known conficts with Novell. It would be reassuring to find the 'Netware Yes' or similar acceptance on the hardware or in its documentation.

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

by jeligomez In reply to Novell 4.11 Installation

First: Create the partition and than format the partion you created.

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

Collapse -

Novell 4.11 Installation

This question was auto closed due to inactivity