Networks

General discussion

Novell 4.x and ArcServe 6.10

By sbutts ·
Our vendor recently applied Service Pack 7 to our Novell 4.x server. I am running ArcServe 6.10 backup software with Service Pack 2. My backups are now taking 20 - 24 hours. They used to take 4 hours. I have had the SP7 backed off, deleted and reinstalled ArcServe, nothing seems to work. Does anybody have any suggestions. I tried something different every night but have nothing fixes it. HELP!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by zoel In reply to Novell 4.x and ArcServe 6 ...

Please provide more detail on your hardware setup and backup methods. I need to know what kind of server, ram, hard drive space being backed up, tape drive type, controller type, if your sharing one controller for the tape and hard drives, wheter this server is being backed up remotely, or is backing up remote, servers of clients etc. Also, make sure you get sp7A, not sp7. sp7 had an issue with Tsands.nlm that will cause abends when opening and closing NDS for backup!

Under backup options in arcserve on the console you may want to turn off backing up files over 2gb if you know you dont have any that large. I have a problem where occasionally a file becomes corrupt, and the size is misreported. Arcserve will spend hours trying to packthe file down (using the misreported size) to back it up.

On you SCSI card settings make sure you have sync negotiation turned OFF and disconnect turned ON for both the tape drive and the controller. Also slow the speed for the TBU down to its lowest setting (as most

Collapse -

by sbutts In reply to Novell 4.x and ArcServe 6 ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by kathy.maciejeski In reply to Novell 4.x and ArcServe 6 ...

One problem you should be aware of is an incompatibility with ArcServe 6.1. The TSA410.NLM, SMDR.NLM, and TSANDS.NLM files that come with Support Pack 7 can cause your server to abend with ArcServe 6.1 when it backs up NDS. If you use ArcServe 6.1, you must copy back the versions of TSA410.NLM, SMDR.NLM, and TSANDS.NLM that came with Support Pack 6a to your SYS:\SYSTEM directory.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by berryhill5231 In reply to Novell 4.x and ArcServe 6 ...

Verify what you are backing up. You may be backing up things that you do not need to. I recently encountered a client that was backing up 13,000 clipart files. Rediculous!
There is a limitation on directories with more than 2000 files. The buffers and swap space fills up and at that point files are being swapped out one at a time. That wil be slower than frozen molasses goin' up hill.
I have solved more problems than you can imagine by being able to turn off compression.

Apply the latest Arcserve Service packs and the new nlms. Do it exactly as the instructions specify and it should work. I have never had to apply any Novell patches for this problem, With 4.xx or 5.xx. But that only says that I had not encountered a Novell backup issue. The main thing is to verify your backup. If you don't need compression don't use it.

Hope this helps,

Mike Berryhill

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author