Question

• Creator
    Topic

nvidia geforce2 mx/mx 400 agp card problems. why?

by zack247 ·

hi i installed a nvidia geforce2 mx/mx 400 agp card in my custom computer. but when i installed the drivers for it, i just get a blank screen, and the monitor receives and loses a signal. i uninstalled the drivers, and it works, but if the drivers are installed, it doesn’t. why wont it work?

please tell me why

*note: windows xp home edition, 256mb ram, 10gb hdd,’98 mobo

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by zack247 ·

In reply to nvidia geforce2 mx/mx 400 agp card problems. why?

Clarifications

What drivers are you using here?

by oh smeg ·

It sounds as if you have the wrong ones.

Also the MX400 generally doesn’t require you to install Drivers with any form of XP as it is correctly Identified and the right drivers installed when you load the OS.

Col

ok…

by zack247 ·

In reply to What drivers are you using here?

the video card is a cmx2s, but since i couldn’t find drivers for the card, i found them for the chip. and every time windows starts, i reinstalls the drivers. im not sure why.

here is the setup i used:
        http://www.filefront.com/7123005/81.98_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe

Instead of using that download

by oh smeg ·

In reply to ok…

Open the Device Manager right click on the Display Adapter and left click on Update Driver. Place your XP install Disc into the Optical Drive and let the OS find it’s own drivers.

That will work a treat. 😉

Col

The drivers are available from NVidia

by cg it ·

Use the advanced search feature.

In the product type choose legacy drivers. Product series choose your card and then on Product choose your MX 400.

Choose your O/S note these are legacy drivers so you’ll only get em for XP or below, then download your drivers and run the installation program.

Exactly, only download from the mothership

by slayer_ ·

In reply to The drivers are available from NVidia

The ones he found from some random download site. Not trustworthy. If they are not meant for XP could be serious problems as they won’t instruct the system of the correct refresh rates.

Got a thumb but the question is does it now work?

by cg it ·

In reply to The drivers are available from NVidia

I like thumbs but heck would like to know if they got it working…..and what did you do?

OH Smegs way or NVidia web site way?

inquiring minds want to know…..

i tried both

by zack247 ·

In reply to Got a thumb but the question is does it now work?

i tried both ways, but neither of them worked. oh smegs way said it could not locate any drivers.
          and through nvivdia, it installed the drivers, but it didn’t work. just a black screen. but one thing i found odd was that after the installation completed, the screen showed a whole bunch of tall(ish) rectangular happy faces (unless it was just me) but after it restarted, i saw the windows xp loading screen, it showed “please wait…” on the blue shaded startup screen, and then the screen started the same on-off routine. also, when i installed the video card, a couple things:
          1:there was a 3-pin jumper
          2:i had to replace the fan, witha larger, but equally as efficient fan. i got it from my friend, so the stckers were all gone, but i think i recall it saying something like “FonsAN” on it. it has 11 blades, and it looked a lot like this one: http://www.pc-kabelwelt.de/shop/bilder/produkte/gross/74_1.jpg i hope i can get this working.(with your help of course)

well had you posted this info originally, would have saved time

by cg it ·

In reply to i tried both

chances are the video card is dead.

If you got this in a box of “stuff” and the fan didn’t work, then it’s probable that the GPU overheated and well that’s the end of that.

I’d toss it into the electronic recycler bin go get a new vid card.

Agreed

by slayer_ ·

In reply to well had you posted this info originally, would have saved time

The 3D core is probably dead. The default drivers would work because they wouldn’t fire up the 3D processors.
          generally, if it shuts off just as the loading windows message disappears, your card is bad because that is when Windows loads up the driver for your video card.

Video card’s don’t last that long anymore.

aint that just peachy

by zack247 ·

In reply to Agreed

it was in a computer running ubuntu, and it worked just fine, but now i have to find a new one. thats just great. because i dont have the couple hundred dollars that it would cost me to get a new one.

have to remember you changed out the fan

by cg it ·

In reply to aint that just peachy

so the fan wasn’t working. That indicates that possibly the card overheated and burned out the GPU. Further, how did you remove the old fan? If the old fan was mounted using epoxy, getting it off might damage the GPU.

Of course all this is just speculation because we here can only speculate what the problems might be based upon the information you give.

It could be as simple as your power supply

by slayer_ ·

Maybe when you moved it, it got shocked by the PSU, maybe your current machines PSU doesn’t have enough power or is unstable. Who knows? They are fragile things. The Ubuntu drivers may not access the processors the same way. Did you do any 3D gaming or turn on any 3D effects in Ubuntu? If not then it may never have run into the bad GPU.
          You motherboard isn’t trying to overclock the video card is it? Try booting into safemode, install a program like RivaTuner and underclock your card, it might make it happier. It’s not unheard of that the video RAM has overheated and degraded with time, or that the GPU/GPU’s can’t handle their own speed anymore and quickly overheat and shutdown, or won’t even start up. I know my oldest 6600, in its old age it started to die. I had to keep declocking it to keep it going. Once it was down to 66mhz it refused to work anymore at all. new card of equivalent power was 400 bucks, or I could spend 400 bucks and upgrade my system entirely, guess what I did :).

And yes, AGP cards are stupidly expensive for some reason. You can probably find a cheap one from a computer rental shop, or a normal repair shop, they often have leftover crap that they might even give you.

Good news is GPU’s usually don’t detonate if they overheat. Bad news is, RAM is very fragile, and often will last forever, but overheat it once and it starts to degrade, and keeps degrading until you start to get memory errors and graphics glitches, till eventually it stops working all together.
          Here is a good reference site for you.
          http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

RE: changed out the fan

by zack247 ·

no, it didn’t have any epoxy, just 4 screws that mounted it to the heatsink. i could only use one of the four though, because of the size of the new fan. and i have a 350W max power supply, i think that would be sufficient. once i got two computers off of kijiji, and one had a 400W power supply, unfortunately, it must’ve overheated or something because the whole inside was black, and the fan was half melted. it wouldn’t even turn. where do i get rivatuner? do i just google for a download?

okay. so 2 things…

by zack247 ·

1: my settings in the bios are for the computer to turn on if ac power is lost and reconnected. is this why my computer just restarts every time the video card is started?

2: i got rivatuner, and my video card shows up in it, and i installed its drivers, started in safe mode, but the video card no longer shows. why?

ok so when you boot up do you have video?

by cg it ·

the BIOS [CMOS]loads a generic video driver during POST so that you can configure the BIOS. This generic vga driver isn’t a mfg driver. If you have video during post, then the video card works.

If you don’t have any video at all [no video signal to the monitor] the monitor will have an amber light.

So if you do have video during post, but no video after post [no video signal, monitor light goes to amber] I would still say there’s a major problem with the video card and probably is associated with overheating. The card probably is on it’s last legs and it’s time for a new one.

Also when in Safe Mode

by oh smeg ·

The Default Windows Video Drivers are used not the actual Video Cards Drivers. This is why you see a low resolution screen.

At what stage does the Video stop appearing on the screen?

Col

Try changing that on AC loss setting

by slayer_ ·

To something like stay off. Then try booting up. This could help determine if its a power supply issue.

RE: Also when in Safe Mode

by zack247 ·

it stops showing (not in safe mode) the video when windows actually starts.(afr the screen where it says Windows XP with the loading bar)

here is the fan

by zack247 ·

In reply to Got a thumb but the question is does it now work?

this is the fan i used. i stripped the ends and wired the old fans plug onto it. we had gotten it when we got a whole bunch of computer parts once http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/cooling/roundups/9-8-2001/taisol_new.jpg

Who fed you the “400 bucks” nonsense? …

by older mycroft ·

Where did you get the idea that a replacement GeForce2 MX400 AGP card was going to cost you $400 ?

#1 – [b]Diablotek MX400 128MB AGP 4x – $34.99[/b]

#2 – [b]PNY VCG62256AEB GeForce 6200 256MB DDR 64-bit DVI+ VGA AGP Graphics Card – Retail – $39.82[/b]

#3 – [b]Diablotek Radeon 7500 128MB AGP – $40.00[/b]

#4 – [b]eVGA e-GeForce FX5200 AGP Video Card – 128MB Light Version 128-A8-N303-L2 – $46.18[/b]

Plus, the majority of modern replacements have passive cooling. So you’re unlikely to run into the faulty fan scenario again.

[i]All listed as currently in stock. None anywhere near $400, not even $100, not even $50.[/i]

🙂

Thats amazon

by slayer_ ·

In reply to Who fed you the “400 bucks” nonsense? …

To find one in a store, its much more expensive. And unless you live in Amazon’s shipping area, your SOL.

You receive Postal Mail don’t you? …

by older mycroft ·

In reply to Thats amazon

Unless you don’t have letters plopping through your letter-box, I cannot think of any reason you can’t get Amazon deliveries.

I tried

by slayer_ ·

In reply to You receive Postal Mail don’t you? …

They don’t even seem to ship to Canada. at least not to Manitoba.

According to Amazon (Canada) …

by older mycroft ·

In reply to I tried

[i]”Amazon.ca can ship to virtually any address in the world. Click the links to the left for more information on costs and delivery times.”[/i]

Currently the domestic shipping rates are:
          [b]Electronics $4.99 (per shipment) $1.99/lb (per item)

[b]Geforce 6200 Agp 256mb 2port Vga/Dvi/S-Video W/Dvi-Vga Adap 300w – CDN$ 52.99[/b]

*I checked with my own Amazon account. If I can specify an item via [b][u]Amazon.UK[/b][/u] for delivery to Manitoba (with no restrictions), I’m at a total loss as to why you cannot order it as what is a DOMESTIC SALE, getting it from Amazon.CA – that doesn’t make any sense.[/b] 😉

I am getting a charge out of this.

by ron k. ·

In reply to According to Amazon (Canada) …

What are you trying to say? :^0

Moi ?…

by older mycroft ·

In reply to I am getting a charge out of this.

I’m not sayin’ nuffin’ guvnor, honest! :^0

the stores

by zack247 ·

In reply to Who fed you the “400 bucks” nonsense? …

but that was for a graphics card period. and i don’t think they make my model anymore, considering te site with ITS drivers doesn’t exist anymore

You said that this worked when you had Ubuntu installed

by oh smeg ·

In reply to the stores

But it’s not working under Windows. If that is correct grab a Live Linux any will do but Ubuntu will probably be easier for you to use since it was what you where using previously and see if the Video works off the Boot Disc.

http://librenix.com/?inode=5378

That will rule out if the card is actually working or not.

As for new cards they may no longer be the same model but provided that they are the correct Socket Type they will work with your M’Board.

You should be looking for a AGP Video Card and currently both ATI and NVidia Chip Set AGP Video Cards are available new.

the ATI Base one sells for $79.00 and has these specifications

HIS ATI 9250 AGP, 128MB 64-bit DDR, DVI-I, VGA, TV Out, Low Profile,

While the NVidia has these

Galaxy GeForce FX5500 AGP 256MB DDR 128-bit, 270MHz/332MHz, TV, DVI, Fan

and retails for $66.00.

Col

it did…

by zack247 ·

In reply to You said that this worked when you had Ubuntu installed

but im not sure i follow. you want me to install ubuntu? i was thinking about it, bt i don’t want to wipe my hard drive so i can try it. im working on a computer im gonna call my “hackintosh” because im putting a pc in a mac. the problem is, though, i can’t get my mobo to work. it is a bs61b mobo,
          but i cant remember the make. it has two available chip spots, sockets:1 slots:1 and even with the manual, it wont work. why? i think the bios area might be shot, because it wont work with a different 98 award bios chip installed. i was hoping you could help me figure this out. can you?

wait a minute your trying to load Windows on a Mac?

by cg it ·

In reply to it did…

this just keeps getting better and better…

If you want help, you have to tell us what your doing rather than simply saying hey video card worked with Ubuntu but doesn’t work with Windows. Oh btw couldn’t find mfg drivers so I used some junk drivers, and oh btw I changed out the fan, [which might have physically damaged the card] and now it’s oh btw I’m trying to install Windows on a Mac.

What other oh btw do you have?

no…

by zack247 ·

In reply to wait a minute your trying to load Windows on a Mac?

im putting a windows mobo into a mac CASING.

and i am not sure if the drivers were installed in ubuntu, cause ive never used it before, i tried the drivers from a different site because i thought legacy was another chip type. i replaced the fan because i didn’t want to risk overheating the card. i think it isn’t working because my power supply may not be at the top of its game anymore.

so, no. i dont have MORE btws for you. ill try to not add btws in my future posts. ok?

A Live Linux runs off the CD and gets loaded into RAM not the HDD

by oh smeg ·

In reply to it did…

So no I’m not suggesting that you install the Ubuntu OS just attempt to run it off the CD that I gave you a link to. 😉

As for the rest I’m not sure whats going on here.

Col

ok then

by zack247 ·

In reply to A Live Linux runs off the CD and gets loaded into RAM not the HDD

thanks. ive seen it before, im gonna see if i can find a hard drive i can permanently put it on

Viewing 3 reply threads