General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Outlook 2000 Does not recieve email

by patrick_m ·

After a period of time of outlook being opened some users are reporting that they do not recieve email or they only recieve some email once the shut down and restart outlook they get emails that have not be recieved in some cases they are weeks old.Is there a bug in outlook 2k that causes this and if so how can it be repaired. Any help on this would be great.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by val_k ·

In reply to Outlook 2000 Does not recieve email

Are you using Exchange Server? Are all users date and time zone settings correct both in Windows and in Outlook’s Tools | Otions | Calendar Options… | Time Zones…?

Sometimes when Outlook is using one or more POP3 mail accounts, it will not send and receive messages automatically, you must click “Send/Receive” (or press F5). Typically, it will automatically send and receive the default mail account but not additional ones. Check Tools | Otions | Mail Services and make sure all mail services are checked, but also make sure your users are clicking send/receive regularly.

by qballrail ·

Although I’ve never seen the auto check disable with multiple accounts in Outlook. In fact, I have had occasion to have 3 or 4 POP3 accounts configured in my Outlook with Check Mail every 10 Mins option selected and not had any issues. However, ifVal K’s answers do not resolve, go to the Outlook Update page which may resolve this issue. Simply go to Windows Update and select Office Update, you should find either an answer or a patch. Much like Windows, Office has a few updates and patches. Are you running SR1? If not, that may be a patch to install. I believe there is also an SR2 available. I don’t know if being connected to an Exchange Server would be a factor but I’d be interested in knowing what the final resolution is. Good Luck!

by patrick_m ·

Well I am not using exchange I am using a webhost server from a local ISP and It does not matter if the send and recieve is clicked when this happens it will not work properly again until the outlook program is stopped and then restarted again and then it is good for a time then it will do it again. I believe the ISP is using linux as there server platform and a program called Plesk to admin it and monitor it. Please let me know if this addtional info helps.

by gigelul ·

I think that you must discuss this problem with your ISP.
      Sometimes I had similar problems with Outlook (but I have an error-mapi spooler unexpected shutdown). For us solutions from ISP were using Outlook Express. After one connections (check once for new e-mails)with Outlook Express we can use again MS Outlook.
      Also you can make some tests with some free e-mail accounts to see if your Outlook or ISP create the problems.

by joseph moore ·

Does your ISP also have a web interface that you can use to check the mailboxes? If so, you could check a mailbox when a user is “stuck”, and see if anything is in there.
      I have used Outlook to retrieve e-mails from an ISP in a corporate setting (several mailboxes used by others in the office, and the mail server at an ISP) and the only problem I ever ran into was users mis-configuring their mail settings (enabling the feature to Keep Mail on Server). That really confuses things!
      So, check the mailboxes from a web client or from another Outlook install on another machine when User1 is stuck. See if you get the mail or not.
      Also, I agree with the suggestion to check with your ISP at the moment someone is stuck. Perhaps the ISP is having mail server problems. Since you do not run your own mail server, you are gonna have some problems.
      IMO, running your own mail server is more than worth the setup and maintenance problems.

by maxwell edison ·

Here are some possible solutions:

If you can receive e-mail in Microsoft Outlook Express, but not in Outlook, try the following:

In Outlook, on the Tools menu, click Services. Click Internet e-mail, and then click Properties.
      Click the Servers tab, and then click Log on using Secure Password Authentication.

For this setting to take effect, you must quit and restart Outlook.

If you’re having problems using MSN with Outlook 2000, here are the most common causes and their solutions.
      Outlook 2000 requires MSN version 2.5 or later
      To use MSN with Outlook 2000, you must have MSN version 2.5 or later. Outlook 2000 doesn’t support MSN versions 2.0 and earlier. Trying to use a version of MSN earlier than 2.5 will result in problems.

If you have MSN 2.5 or later and can’t send or receive e-mail, try the following:

Check your e-mail server settings

In Outlook, on the Tools menu, click Services. Click Internet e-mail, and then click Properties.
      Click the Servers tab, and then check the entries in the Incoming Mail (Pop3) and Outgoing mail (SMTP) boxes. They should be in lowercase letters and should match the table below.

Incoming mail (Pop3) = pop3.email.msn.com

Outgoing mail (SMTP) = smtp.email.msn.com

Note: If you gain access to MSN through a third-party Internet service provider (ISP) or local area network (LAN), and MSN is not working, type secure.smtp.email.msn.com in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) box.

(continued..)

by maxwell edison ·

If your e-mail server settings are not causing the problem, try one or more of the following, as appropriate:

If you are on a LAN, check your proxy settings.

If you use MSN on a corporate network, contact your network administrator for the correct proxy settings for your LAN.

Check that your e-mail has been migrated to the MSN POP3/SMTP servers

If you’re upgrading to MSN version 2.5 or later from an earlier version of MSN, check to see if your e-mail account has been migrated.

1. Go to the MSN Address Book.

2. Type your e-mail name in the E-mail name box, and then click Search.

If the return contains @email.msn.com, the e-mail account has been migrated and can use POP3/SMTP.
        If the return contains @msn.com, the e-mail account hasn’t been migrated. If this is the case, and if the incoming mail server is set to pop3.email.msn.com, you won’t be able to log on. Migrate your MSN e-mail account to the POP3/SMTP servers.

Set or check Secure Password Authentication

Source of information:

http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2000/olmsn.aspx

(REMOVE SPACES from the pasted URL.)

Maxwell

by patrick_m ·

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

by patrick_m ·