Question

• Creator
    Topic

Outlook 2003 creating signature – Word won’t open, Notepad does

by dasy1128 ·

Hi all,
    I wonder if you could help me out with this. I am trying to create a signature with an image file and I can do it with no problem on outlook 2003 English version – I go to edit signature under formal mail in tool options and MS Word will open and I then edit from there. However, from outlook 2003 Korean version Notepad opens, not Word. I select html as mail version and ticket the bocks ‘open in MS word 2003’, but to no avail. Word won’t open. Can anyone help?
    thank you!
    dasy1128

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by dasy1128 ·

In reply to Outlook 2003 creating signature – Word won’t open, Notepad does

Clarifications

I have the same problem with Notepad. This is a new phenomenon for me.

by jjhrad ·

If you have figured out how to stop Notepad from insinuating itself as the Advanced Editor for signatures, please do let me know at jjhrad@golden.net. It would be nice if the editor remained as Word, wouldn’t it?

Solved – I have the same problem with Notepad. This is a new phenomenon for

by office ·

In reply to I have the same problem with Notepad. This is a new phenomenon for me.

Hi,

The above can be solved (Not guaranteed to work every time) by the following.

I believe this works with Office 2002 (Office XP – Version 10) and Office 2003 (Version 11).

First, you need the HTML of a signature that does work.

I have included this below:

Claire3 Signature

User Name

Job Title

Address

Address Continued

M.+44 (0)023749723 Tel number 92374972398 etc

Slogan Example

Confidentiality Example
        Copyright in this message and its attachments remains with us. Their contents
        are confidential. They are intended solely for the person to whom they are
        addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender, and
        delete the message from your system immediately. You must not read, copy or use
        the contents of the e-mail nor disclose it or its existence to anyone else.
        Please note that the management of this company reserve the right to monitor
        and read internal and external e-mails, even if they are marked private and/or
        confidential. Please note that communication by e-mail is not guaranteed as
        100% secure. If you wish to guarantee confidentiality, we recommend the use of
        personal delivery or fax communication. We do not accept any responsibility for
        loss of confidentiality arising from use of e-mail. Although we have checked
        this e-mail for viruses, it is not guaranteed to be virus free and it is your
        responsibility to scan the message and attachments prior to opening them. We do
        not accept any responsibility for the consequences of passing on any virus.

When Notepad opens instead of Word, delete all the HTML in Notepad. Copy and paste the above into Notepad. Save the Notepad file.

Save Outlook signature by clicking on OK until all boxes disappear in Outlook.

When you go back to edit the signature in Outlook Word should open as the editor.

If it does not ensure that, in Outlook the box marked Use Microsoft Word XP/2000/2002/2003 to edit email messages is checked/ticked.

Then try again.

The only problem I have encountered with this is that the Bold settings on the text are inverted, if your text appears bold in the signature, simply set it to bold in the editor and it will appear normal in the signature.

This has always worked, I have done it with 2003 and I know someone who has done it with an earlier version.

I hope this helps,

James

Easy fix

by phumberstone ·

In reply to Solved – I have the same problem with Notepad. This is a new phenomenon for

Open Word – > Tools -> Options -> E_mail Options and select any HTML signature you have previously created or copied into the C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures folder and click OK.

If you open the Advanced Edit (Signature) feature in Outlook, Word should now open instead of Notepad.

Outlook 2003 Word won’t open, Notepad does

by dannyjaspers ·

From IE…Tools > Internet options> Programs> Set Microsoft Word as HTML

Viewing 2 reply threads