Question

Outlook 2003: e-mails disappearing

By CaboWabo ·
Sorry, I know this topic has been covered quite a bit already but I am unable to find a solution to my problem as it differs a bit from the other issues.
One of our users needed to take a laptop home overnight. I set up the laptop with Outlook 2003, the same as I have done with many, many others users however with her, none of her emails will show up in her email. The only mail that shows up is new mail and that only stays in the inbox for a very short peroid of time. Some her old mail (very old, from 2005) is there though as well as some of her deleted mail. I thought maybe this was just a one-off as it's never happened to any other user but just yesterday I had to set up another user's email who was covering at reception. She was at her normal workstation and as I was setting her email up at reception she literally watched all her email disappear. Like when you are archiving. Now, the only email she has is new email that has come in after I set up her other email.
All new emails are set to be sent to the users mailboxes. There are no rules in place. I've never run into this problem before and I've set up a hundred or more emails for users other than their own workstation. All users are using Outlook 2003 and we are running a Exchange 2000 server.
Any help you can give me would be really appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

18 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

View, Current View, and select Messages.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to oh, I didn't try that

If prompted, discard unsaved any existing view. Also check View, Current View, Customize, Filters and be sure there are none set.

Collapse -

There were no filters set.

by CaboWabo In reply to View, Current View, and s ...

I logged on as myself on the laptop and all my old and current/unread mail was there like it is supposed to be. Could this have something to do with this particular user?

Thanks

Collapse -

Per Profile

by retro77 In reply to There were no filters set ...

Filters and such are going to be a per profile setting. So if you log in, your not going to see the end user's filters, just your own.

Collapse -

CaboWabo, another reply to "There were no filters set"

by CharlieSpencer In reply to There were no filters set ...

See how it works?

Unfortunately, that doesn't bring you any closer to solving your problem. What happens if the user opens Outlook on another computer? Preferably one he has never used before so you have to create a virgin profile. If that works, try deleting all e-mail profiles on that user's machine and reinstalling Outlook.

Collapse -

Unread View

by IC-IT In reply to oh, I didn't try that

View, Toolbars, Insure the Advanced toolbar is displayed. This will result in a dropdown box that should read messages instead of "unread messages in this folder".
As another stated, this has to be done from that users profile.

Collapse -

I've set it as per your instructions..

by CaboWabo In reply to Unread View

I am currently logged in as that user. I sent a test message but it is unfortunately doing the same thing. The dropdown box is set to 'messages'

Collapse -

@retro77 (Per Profile)

by CaboWabo In reply to Unread View

Sorry, apparently I've reached the maximum number of replies for the other thread.
I am logged in as that user.

Collapse -

When you reach the maximum number of replies

by CharlieSpencer In reply to @retro77 (Per Profile)

Post a reply to the message on the previous level. This often results in a long string of bottom-level messages, so include the person you're responding to in the Subject to prevent confusion. See my reply to "There were no filters set".

Back to Networks Forum
18 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02