General discussion

OUTLOOK 2003 "This operation has been canceled..."

By SoilSavers ·
Outlook 2003 Pro on WinXP Pro. several weeks ago started generating following msg when try to follow ANY link in an email. "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please call your network admin"..I AM THE NETWORK ADMIN AND I DONT KNOW NOTHING!! There is a Microsoft Tech support article (#32547 that has a hot fix available...BUT only for Office XP MSoft will not release the hotfix for Office 2003... can anyone help?? P L E A S E

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

23 total posts (Page 2 of 3)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

radical_green SAVES the DAY!!

by sheeny In reply to Easy fix...

radical_green you deserve a medal! what a crazy but super effective fix to this annoying problem. I have scoured the internet to find solutions for this and followed the advice of all of those mad registry editors to finall find this exceptionally straightforward solution.

Everyone TRY this FIRST!

I am happy now.

Collapse -

Maybe, not so obvious .... This must be an Introduced change?

by Beoweolf In reply to Easy fix...

I strongly suspect that a recent Microsoft update had introduced this anomoly. A recent spate of similar reports has been making the round of several news groups.

Introduced problems are much worse than errors of ommision or ignorance. One of the first questions asked by most techs, "What have you changed in just prior to the problem surfacing?" - often ignores the possiblity that an authorized update may be the cause.

Seems the idea of this being a "Easy fix" or an obvious solution, may not be exactly true? In this case, a user or tech may have set up the application correctly - it may have been running without problems, before a obscure change is made without knowledge if users or staff.

Collapse -

Easy fix

by dbeard100 In reply to Easy fix...

Great and many thanks for this. I had been trialling Google Chrome and was using ths as my default browser. Having deleted CHROME and reverted back to IE I started to get this problem. Now all fixed.

Collapse -

by AYEKATOAWHCH In reply to OUTLOOK 2003 "This operat ...

This has happened twice to me now, and the easiest fix I've found is this: Open IE and select Tools/Options/Programs and have IE set itself as the default browser (you may or may not want to set it to always be so), then open Firefox (or whatever preferred browser you want) and do the same.
Restart Outlook and the links should start working.
HTH.

Collapse -

by jitesh.mistry In reply to

This happened to me today where any links in an email were failing. This occurred after my son made Firefox my default browser and clearly MS Outlook decides to take slight to this. The fix:

"Open IE and select Tools/Options/Programs and have IE set itself as the default browser (you may or may not want to set it to always be so), then open Firefox (or whatever preferred browser you want) and do the same. Restart Outlook and the links should start working."

.... worked for me.

Collapse -

by nfenn In reply to

This is the only fix that worked for me too...thanks a heap!

Collapse -

by AE4713 In reply to

Thanks so much for this fast and easy fix.... Certainly more effective and expedient than the registry editing directed by other sites!

Collapse -

by on2it@woosh.co.,nz In reply to

thanks that worked a treat.

Collapse -

by fabioq In reply to

Awesome this worked for me! I knew it was related to Firefox because I had just installed version 3.0 when it started it happening but since some of the add-on I reallu use were not available yet, I decided to go back to 2.0 but since Firefox doesn't have the "RESET" option as IE, I was trying to figure out a way do it without screwing up my Firefox settings. Thanks!

Collapse -

Regedit not required

by The Tad Man In reply to

Here is the answer to solve this problem. I got the same error when trying to execute links in Word or Excel.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011906941033.aspx?pid=CL100626971033

i hope this helps

Back to Software Forum
23 total posts (Page 2 of 3)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03   Next