Software

General discussion

Outlook2003 "Unable to open default e-mail folders...."

By dbergesen ·
I have Office2003 installed on a new PC and am trying to open it for the first time. It comes up saying it is building a welcome message and then I get a error message saying "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. You must connect to your Microsoft Exchange Server computer with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with the offline folder file." I never asked it to do any synchronization. I tried to delete the e-mail account so I could re-create it and it comes back telling me I can't delete it until I create a new one to hold the messages, which there are none. Yet when I try to create a new account Exchange stops me saying there is already an account created and you can't have two. I have looked through the MS Knowledgebase and can't find any reference to the above message. HELP!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

I had the can not open mesage and there was a exchange 2007 error also!

by csutherland In reply to Outlook2003 "Unable to op ...

Mapi session "/o=dpcs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (XXX)/cn=Recipients/cn=USERACCOUNT" exceeded the maximum of 32 objects of type "session".

Used the location below to find that restarting the store service would get them working again and it did!

http://www.davidunderwood.org/2007/10/02/Exchange2007WithOutlook2003ClientUnableToOpenDefaultEMailFolders.aspx

Collapse -

9 in 10 times this is the problem

by paulo.mesquita In reply to I had the can not open me ...

I was having this very issue in a Exchange Cluster 2007 and at the time I got this solution and worked like a charm :-).

Now when one of my clients has an issue like this this is the 1st thing I see.... 9 in 10 times this is the problem.

Collapse -

THANK YOU!!

by moberg.jeff In reply to I had the can not open me ...

I spent the better part of the past two days trying everything I could on the user's machine to try to fix this problem. One trip to Tech Republic and the issue is resolved. You are my new hero :)

Collapse -

OST file

by spam11 In reply to Outlook2003 "Unable to op ...

I dont know if it is related to this particular issue, but I received the same error message while using Outlook 2003.
Resolution to this problem was rebuilding OST file of this profile. Since Outlook is not removing OST files while deleting profiles from Control Panel -> Mail, it has to be done manually.
I've simply removed the OST file and it resolved my problem. Outlook created a new OST file and it is working fine now.

Collapse -

OST file

by snylund In reply to OST file

What you are saying is correct. Ost files are automatically created if you use Cached Mode in Outlook.
My experience was in addition to deleting this ost file I had to do a change:
Tools\E-mail accounts\Next\Change\More Settings\Advanced tab\Ofline Folder Location.

If %Userprofile% is there you have to change it to C:\Documents and Settings\user-id\

Then it is working and a new ost files is created. Ost file contains content of mailbox, contacts and calendar items.

Collapse -

Outlook2003 "Unable to open default e-mail folders

by joseph.annaadaas In reply to Outlook2003 "Unable to op ...

Thanks Keith, I've tried to restart the services and the system works fine now.
Thanks again.

Collapse -

by jennylembert In reply to Outlook2003 "Unable to op ...

Glad to see that you get your issue resolved by restarting the Exchange Services. In some cases this error may results in OST file corruption and creates trouble; if one has no back up. In thses cases <a href="http://www.stellarinfo.com/exchange-ost-recovery.htm ">ost pst conversion</a> will help to get all the mailbox data back.

Collapse -

by patch1334 In reply to Outlook2003 "Unable to op ...

Disabling cached exchange mode fixed it for me.

Collapse -

Unable to open default e-mail folders...." FOR (OST)

by ost2pst In reply to Outlook2003 "Unable to op ...

SysTools OST Recovery tool is best tool in world to quickly open ost file and folder.

Collapse -

open email and folder tool

by ost2pst12 In reply to Outlook2003 "Unable to op ...

i am using this application and open corrupt ost file Try it : http://www.convertost.org