General discussion

Presario 1200 - No Comm Ports!

By ruairi ·
Hi, have done a clean instal of win98 on a Compac Presario 1200 XL. Installed sound, video, network drivers etc and that all works but I cannot resolve the following which may or may not be related:
1. Two default monitors in device manager; tried deleting one but it still looks to reinstal on booting so I have disabled. (Display adapter Trident CyberBlade i1 AGP 77).
2. There is an unknown PCI communications device (yellow ? mark) listed under 'Other Devices'. There is no modem in device manager so I installed one but thats not it.

And the last but most curious is that I have no Comm ports listed or available.

All other functions seem ok and there are no other problem devices or anything reporting conflicts in device manager...... I have been told that there was a prob with early compacs and I may need to get an i/o device driver but have had no luck on the Compaq site or elswhere getting any info so your help would be appreciated.... cheers

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ruairi In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Presario 1200 - No Comm P ...

Well I would tend to believe that the error is connected to the COM ports and that the version of Win 98 didn't have the proper driver support for the M'Board in that computer. If you have the restore disc/s use them to update the drivers on the non working ones.

If you do not have the original CD's then you will have to find out from the BIOS string just who made the M'Board and download the drivers for the M'Board from their site.

Unfortunately because the internals of these are different between production runs HP will be unable to help you even if they where interested which 9 times out of 10 they aren't. Try BIOSWORLD or BIOSMAN for the brand & model of the M'Board. You will see the BIOS string on the bottom of the screen on boot up and you will need to press the "Pause" key down so you can copy it down. This string of letters and numbers gives you all the details of theBIOS used, the maker and model of the M'Board and then you can visit the site of the M'Board maker to download the correct drivers.

Collapse -

by ruairi In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by ruairi In reply to Presario 1200 - No Comm P ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
14 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02