Desktop

General discussion

Printer causes reboot of win 2000 SP4

By mikec.mikec ·
When I power on my HP 7031xi printer (connected to USB) it reboots windows 2000 SP 4, no errors. Eight out of ten times it will reboot with no errors? Reinstalled USB & printer drivers, no go. On line with HP support for 2 1/2hours, still no go.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by desktopgeek In reply to Printer causes reboot of ...

Everytime I have seen a computer reboot on its own when something is used has always been an IRQ conflict.

Collapse -

by mikec.mikec In reply to

The problem is intermittent. If I turn on the printer before the computer, no problem. I have looked at everything and there are no conflicts. Sometimes I can turn it on 6 times in a roll and no reboot. This is the only USB device that I am using, and I have no other USB device drivers loaded. I can turn on the printer while the computer is going thru the POST, and it will sometimes reboot. This has been happening from day one.

Collapse -

by HB_BC In reply to Printer causes reboot of ...

Some system will boot from a USB source. That maybe what the printer is doing to your computer. You could go and look in the BOIS to see and if it is set to boot from a USB and if so disable it to see if that fixes your problem.

If that is not the problem you may want to go HP CustomerCare site here http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=buu01860&prodId=hpofficeje91469&cc=us and read the section about (Problems with power) it talks about one of the symptoms being restarting the computer when try to active the printer.

Collapse -

by mikec.mikec In reply to

I was on line for 3 hours with HP support last week, already tried this. Thought I fixed it when we reinstalled the USB drivers. I was able to restart the printer 6 times then on the 7th try it rebooted the computer

Collapse -

by HB_BC In reply to Printer causes reboot of ...

Is that the only item that you have pluged into a USB?
If not have you tried to power on the printer with it being the only thing pluged into a USB port or going though a external self powered USB Hub?
I"m just curious if it's a power problem.

Collapse -

by esymms In reply to Printer causes reboot of ...

I am also experiencing the same issue on a HP d530 small form factor PC. It has the most recent bios, the most recent Intel chipset drivers (January 2005) and The most recent windows updates. We run w2k SP4 standard. My officejet is a d125xi.

The BSOD message pertains to UHCD.SYS which has something to do with USB Drivers. I know this really isn't an answer, but I hope the additional information helps. This is also the only USB device on the PC.