Question

• Creator
    Topic

Random rebooting on Dell optiplex gx240

by coreyx64 ·

Hi all,

I have a Dell optiplex gx240 computer that when running it spontaneously reboots from normal working order to the bios screen, initializing a reboot. I have eliminated heat as an issue, as the machine has been blown out free of dust and dirt. Hestsink etc is all installed properly, temps measure at 40c.

It is running windows xp pro sp3 with a p4 clocked at 1.5ghz 512mb of ram and 40gb wd caviar hdd.

I did a fresh reformat on it. So software wise I think everything is correct. I’m assuming this is a hardware problem. I got the bsod once (didn’t remember the error code) and now every time after that it just turns to a black screen and restarts to the bios.

any ideas? hoping to get this fixed soon. It does this during computer usage and during idle phases.

Thanks in advance. If you need any info, please let me know. I would be glad to provide it.

question: do you think my ram is bad? Well at least one of the 2 sticks?

– Corey –

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to Random rebooting on Dell optiplex gx240

Clarifications

Ram failure

by rob miners ·

will normally cause it to freeze or lock up.

You can test the memory by running Windows Memory Diagnostic that can be downloaded from http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp. If memory problems are found, try re-seating the RAM. If it doesn’t work, replace the defective RAM. Try one stick at a time.

Also check the Capacitors around the CPU for swelling or bulging. They should have a distinct + on the top.

Can you try another PSU?

Edit: to add

Swap the Power switch to the front panel with the Reset switch to rule out a faulty switch.

It doesn’t necesarily lock up…

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to Ram failure

It just blacks out and reboots. No lockups. I will run the memtest anyway for process of elimination. However this is a client’s machine and I won’t be able to get it in my hands until Friday. Anything else I should ponder until then?

Uncheck Automatically restart

by rob miners ·

In reply to It doesn’t necesarily lock up…

1. Press the WinKey + Pause
          2. Click Advanced and under Startup and Recovery select Settings.
          3. Uncheck Automatically restart.
          4. Click on the dropdown arrow under Write debugging information.
          5. Select Small memory dump (64 KB) and the output is %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
          6. Restart the PC normally as this will allow the System to Blue Screen and create the Minidump.

Minidump Files can be found here. C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini122707-02.dmp

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263

To download and install the Windows debugging tools, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

Instructions on using Windbg.

Open Windbg and select file, Symbol file path and browse to the Symbol folder that you have downloaded and installed Symbols to, select OK.
          Close the workpage and save the Workspace information. This should lock in the Symbol path.
          Open Windbg and select file and select Open Crash Dump then navigate to the minidump, highlight it and select Open.
          There are two ways to use !analyze -v the easiest is to click on !analyze -v under Bugcheck Analysis.
          When you have ran the initial dump if you look to the bottom of the screen you will see kd> to the right of that type in !analyze -v and press the Enter key.
          Ctrl + a will let you copy the information and paste it into notepad.

Look to the bottom of the page for information like this. This was fixed by updating the Graphics Drivers.
          FAULTING_THREAD: 864f6a98

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: GRAPHICS_DRIVER_FAULT

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xEA

PROCESS_NAME: logon.scr

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 00000000 to bfef0fea

STACK_TEXT:
          f6434e6c 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 sgiul50!DrvBitBlt+0x585

STACK_COMMAND: .thread 0xffffffff864f6a98 ; kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
          sgiul50!DrvBitBlt+585
          bfef0fea 75f9 jne sgiul50!DrvBitBlt+0x580 (bfef0fe5)

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 0

SYMBOL_NAME: sgiul50!DrvBitBlt+585

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: sgiul50

IMAGE_NAME: sgiul50.dll

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 3b7dfec7

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xEA_IMAGE_sgiul50.dll_DATE_2001_08_18

BUCKET_ID: 0xEA_IMAGE_sgiul50.dll_DATE_2001_08_18

auto restart

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to Uncheck Automatically restart

Thanks I’ll add that to the to do List when I see the machine next. Also I less think it’s the ram more than it is the psu. like a half second before it blake screens and reboots, I hear a not loud, but very distinct and noticable click noise. Then when it black screens all LEDs on the machine go out. And come back on with the bios screen.

That’s just more info on the symptoms of the problem. Hope they help.

Corey

Have you access

by rob miners ·

In reply to auto restart

to a replacement hard drive. I don’t like the sound of noticable clicks. Do as OH Smeg has suggested and test the hard drive as that is normally where the sound comes from.

Yes I have a replaceMent

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to Have you access

In fact it’s the same exact make and model as the one currently installed. I will run that disk Checker oh smeg posted and test the hard drive.

Corey

You’re on the ball

by rob miners ·

In reply to Yes I have a replaceMent

let us know how you get on.

Also check

by rob miners ·

to see what the System is plugged into. If it is a powerboard try another or try another power outlet.

direct power

by coreyx64 ·

its plugged right into the wall outlet. No power strip is connected.

Corey

Ram is bad

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to Ram failure

I’m almost positive the ram is bad now. I booted it up today and received the following messages upon posting of the Dell bios:

memory address error (followed by a bunch of 0x000… Codes)
        memory decreased from 512mb to to 128mb (note there are only 2 256mb modules installed)

the amount of system memory has changed.

ERROR: 8602 AUXILIARY DEVICE FAILURE (displays, power kills then reboots all the way into windows xp.

very very weird. But now how do I determine which stick is bad? pull one out and run diagnostic, then swap and repeat?

Thanks,

Corey

But now how do I determine which stick is bad?

by rob miners ·

In reply to Ram is bad

Run the memory tester with one stick at a time. Inspect the slots with a torch and a large magnifying glass.
          Try the RAM in different slots.
          Try cleaning the golden adge of the RAM with a rubber/eraser.
          This RAM is identical I take it.

I’ll check that

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to But now how do I determine which stick is bad?

And get back to you with the results.

Corey

PS. after I saw that message and did a reboot, it went back up to 512mb…

Problem Identification

by keith.robinson ·

In reply to But now how do I determine which stick is bad?

I have 3 GX240’s and also an SX270 all with the same problem. After mega efforts to resolve this issue Im convinced it is a Capacitor problem, that Dell have recognised in some other models. Swapped HDDs, memory, Bios resets/upgrades all to no avail. I will be binning these machines asap.In the meantime a fix is to not switch them off, once you have got them running ok. 2 of my PCc are working like this, the other two wont even start up now. – anyone want a pile of spares?

All fixed :)

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to Ram failure

Sorry about the delay in reponse. the memtest failed to run after the first time (in which it rebooted during the test) so I said screw it and I replaced both sticks (20 bucks at newegg, what a steal) and reloaded xp, activated, updated, and ready to go. Computer is now working great.Thanks again for all the help from everyone!

Corey

That’s good news

by rob miners ·

In reply to All fixed :)

glad to see that the problem is sorted out.

Yep

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to That’s good news

All fixed, returned to the customer and works as it should.

Thanks.

Corey

Your Welcome

by rob miners ·

In reply to Yep

and good luck with your future endeavours.

Rob

Well in addition the the RAM Test

by oh smeg ·

I would suggest testing the HDD with WD’s Testing Utility Data LifeGuard from here

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=504&sid=30&lang=en

Also grab yourself a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD from here both of the above are free

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

And throw some severe tests at the Hardware to see what if anything happens.

You could also try a Live Linux to rule out any OS related issues and while any will do Knoppix is always good to have in your Toolkit

http://www.livecdlist.com/

Col

thanks

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to Well in addition the the RAM Test

since i wont see the computer itself until friday, everything will have to wait 2 more days.

i will check the memory first and then run the WD HDD check.

i have a linux live cd i will try using that last resort if the above fails to determine the problem.

Thanks.

Corey

Your Welcome EOM

by oh smeg ·

In reply to thanks

Worst Case

by tnt@support ·

The only thing I can add that hasn’t already been said is a cracked motherboard. I had a PC exhibiting these same behaviors and that is what it turned out to be. The computer would boot fine and work for awhile, then it would heat to normal operating temperatures but that was just enough to cause expansion on the board and cause odd behavior, including rebooting itself.

But it’s pretty unlikely, try the other guys’ advice first.

ok

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to Worst Case

i never removed the board or anything to check it, but i doubt it. I only opened it up to clean out the dust and dirt, and visually everything looked perfectly normal.

however i dont hear any expansion when its running. so i doubt thats it. i am leading to believe a RAM failure, and (i sure hope not) a hard drive failure. however if that was the case the hard drive must not be totally dead if it is able to boot and run for some lengths of time.

PS. it doesnt always reboot itself. only sometimes. and no it does not follow any pattern of events. If it did, it would make it easier for me to pinpoint the problem.

Corey

Visual inspection? Capacitors?

by 1bn0 ·

In reply to ok

Did you CAREFULLY inspect the motherboard capacitors.

The caps dont always break/crack and leak. Sometimes they just bulge slightly across the top. It can be hard to see even when you are looking for it specifically.

1.5 GHz is the right vintage for the problem as well. I recently disposed of 16 machines that ALL had varying degrees of capacitor failure. Some were slightly bulged, others were broken and exploding electrolyte all over the palce. And they were all still running(sort of).

However the constant reboot is a classic symptom of capacitor failure.

not that detailed of an inspection

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to Visual inspection? Capacitors?

i meant visual as in everything was connected properly, nothing was physically broken. but i didnt look that in depth—since i was unaware of the problem at the time. it only started acting up AFTER i delivered it to the customer. Otherwise i generally look at details like that.

Corey

capacitors are normal

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to Visual inspection? Capacitors?

none of them are bulging or looking abnormal. DETAILED visual inspection over everything is complete. im not sure what else to look for.

Corey

Any minidump files

by rob miners ·

In reply to capacitors are normal

if there are and your having trouble reading them let us know.

I’ll check

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to Any minidump files

I did see a minidump file after I saw the windows has rEcovered from a serious error message that wouldn’t let me close it out. Also, I had activated windows when I installed windows xp pro a week ago and it for whatever reason unactivated itself and the activation tool in Msoobe said could not connect to the Internet. Then I opened IE and I was able to browse around on AOL, google, etc. without a problem.

Also firefox when you open it it crashes before you can even do anything. Very weird.

I can’t pinpoint a single source of cause for all of these random problems. I’ll check the minidump and report back later.

Corey

Just a thought here

by oh smeg ·

In reply to I’ll check

Wen you installed the OS did you use a Slipstreamed Install Disc or a Install Disc and then install the necessary Drivers from Dell.

In the past when adding Dell Drivers to a Vista OS I’ve had problems if I didn’t install first the sound Driver and then the WiFi Software/Driver. The NB in question there was unstable and did all sorts of screwy things none of them good though.

I had to reinstall the OS and then install the Sound and then the WiFi and the others didn’t seem to care in what order they went in.

That system came with a Dell Install Disc and a Dell Driver Disc it wasn’t a Slipstreamed Install Disc just the Basic Vista Install Disc.

That may be of some help here but I can not remember needing to Activate any Dell Install of an OS because all of the Dell Install Disc’s that I have used are Volume License even the Vista Ones which should require Activation.

Col

It was a hologram disc

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to I’ll check

So it was an original Microsoft windows xp disc with sp3 already integrated. This is a machine from 2002 ish and all of the drivers loaded right from the disc. Did not need to install them manually.

Corey

Have you looked in the Device Manager

by oh smeg ·

In reply to I’ll check

To make sure that everything is installed?\

I’ve never used a M$ Supplied Install Disc on a Dell and had all of the Drivers installed. I think you’ll find that there are some missing and that installing the Chip Set Drivers for the M’Board and Video will give you better results.

Col

device manager is fine

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to I’ll check

I’ve actually had more problems using mfr discs than original OEM discs. It gives it a “fresh start” without the oem garbage they put on it.

Anyway, I guess I didn’t word my statement from before correctly. When I said all the drivers automatically were loaded from the original ms oem xp disk, I meant to say that this machine is old enough to where every driver on the system is LEGACY. they’re all included on the windows disc.

And just to be sure I checked some individual hardware makers websites for updates and there were a few, which I downloaded and applied, but the generic drivers themselves loaded on their own. No yellow question marks….

Corey

The Electrolytic Capacitors

by oh smeg ·

In reply to capacitors are normal

Inside the Power Supply could also cause this to happen.

Have you checked those as well?

Col

Not yet

by coreyx64 ·

In reply to The Electrolytic Capacitors

I only checked the ones onboard. however now there are more problems. see my other recent post. I will dissect the psu and tell you of my findings.

Corey

Viewing 3 reply threads