Software

General discussion

Rant of the Week - Spammers (07/02/200

By tcavadias Staff ·
Here we all are once again ready and willingly to listen to me rant, whine (yes, I will take some cheese with that), stomp my little foot and just give my little feeble opinion (as little as that opinion may be) :-)

I had originally started to write about "changes" - enlight of the new web design. Not about the design itself per se, but more about reflection based on "changes".

However, I decided to change that last minute, and start all over from scratch and go with spam and spammers instead.

So here it is - short and sweet, with a little Grey Poupon and crackers on the side.

I know on any given day even with the best filters in place, all measures that one can take to keep spam/spammers out of their email boxes, some spam still manages to get through. I don't tend to receive very much in my main email accounts (one for work and one for family/friends), since I use alternate email addresses for things like ordering online, subscribing to newsletters and joining forum boards. Along with the alternative email addresses, I also use filters, I don't click on the "unsubscribe" link in email received (they don't need confirmation from me that yes this is a valid email address) and report anything I receive to my ISP. For me, this works at cutting down the spam received in my main accounts. I'm sure each of you have your own way of combating spam/spammers, as that really is what it is - combat but without the combat pay.

While there are *laws* (Can-Spam) that are suppose to help deter spam/spammers they are a joke.

Such as:

- Requiring an "unsubscribe" link? Yeah right, like I'm going to click on it so they know my email address is valid? Besides, I shouldn't have to click on anything, as I shouldn't have gotten that spam email to begin with.

- I bought such and such item so their third parties now have a relation with me so they can now send me spam as well? No! If I wanted your product I would have searched you out to begin with.

- Legal recourse? Yeah right, big companies may have the ability to hunt down spammers, but what about the little guy?

Spam/spammers though isn't just a problem in email, its also a problem in forum boards, chat rooms and IM's.

It's a problem that will continue as long as the money is there, as that is what it mostly boils back down to - Dollar signs. I say mostly, as some of the spam received is for other *benefits* - i.e. the girl in the chatroom trying to pick up any guy over the age of 13 who can fulfill her every fantasy. Course some of you may not consider this spam, but I do when it's unwanted and the chatroom isn't called - Fantasies-R-Us.

What more should the government(s) (yes, I said government, shame on me) be doing? How about the companies that own the forum boards, chatrooms, and IM's? How about the ISP's?

What more can *we* do about it? How do you deter spam/spammers?

Yes, I know I probably just opened up a whole bag of worms, but that's ok, I have my fishing line out and some spam sounds good tonight (with a little Grey Poupon to cover the bitter taste)

-Tammy :-)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Cure for "I get a bunch of spam at work" WATBs.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to Black lists and spam filt ...

I have a user who occasionally complains about the amount of spam he gets. Wednesday he mentioned he'd received almost twenty spam messages in two day. I showed him how many the filter had blocked; end of conversation.

Collapse -

I have tried that

by jdclyde In reply to Cure for "I get a bunch o ...

didn't work. It obviously just showed we weren't doing a good enough job.... :0

right now, over 90% of all emails that we get are spam.

Collapse -

We have had 1 false positive (so far, in the last year)

by Dumphrey In reply to I have tried that

and 99.4% (roughly per week) is SPAM.

Collapse -

Just this week I was bit by the filter

by jdclyde In reply to We have had 1 false posit ...

We are converting our network, and I had to make changes to our router. I didn't know what changes would be needed, so the tech for our provider was going to email me a few links that would explain what I needed to do.

My day ends at 5pm EST, by 9:30pm EST I said F it and left without ever getting the email.

The next morning, there it was, sitting in the spam filter since @#$@#'en 4:30 pm the day before. grrrrrr.

I changed over to my gmail account for the rest of this project. I was NOT happy.

Collapse -

Dern

by Dumphrey In reply to Just this week I was bit ...

what filter are you using? We are on our second technology since I have been here, and we get 1 or 2 false positives a year.

Collapse -

I run into that

by Tig2 In reply to Just this week I was bit ...

The 3 Day mail system appends links to our various partners. I tried sending an email using the system and was told by several people that it showed up in their spam filter. So I sent a complaint to the 3 Day and stopped using their system. And I am not alone in that. Many of us don't use the 3 Day system because of the links.

The 3 Day is the first time I have run into this but I understand why it happens. A single link in the email seems to be okay, more than one doesn't.

Collapse -

didn't even HAVE any links in it

by jdclyde In reply to Just this week I was bit ...

the tech took the time to cherry pick out the information I needed and dropped it in the body.

For the life of me, I don't see anything about it that would make it look like a spam. no forwards or replies even.

Collapse -

That's strange

by Tig2 In reply to Just this week I was bit ...

I could see it getting caught in the filter if there were multiple links but a clear text email with no links or forwards is odd.

Aggressive spam filter?

Collapse -

Aggressive spam filters

by NickNielsen In reply to Just this week I was bit ...

I've lost contact with a couple friends because their ISPs instituted white-list filtering without explaining how to add correspondents to the whitelist.

One friend tried several times to set the spam filtering properly, but was unable to receive mail from almost everybody. The last email I received from her at that account mentioned that the spam filtering rules had completely eliminated mail from people she knew without significantly affecting the amount of spam she got. We have since gotten back in touch through a chance meeting, but she refuses to use email ever since.

Collapse -

Heh

by Dumphrey In reply to Cure for "I get a bunch o ...

I had to do the same, he felt a little better knowing he did not get any of the 387,000 others that week (of which 99.9 were just dictionary spam and not targeted).