Software

General discussion

Rant of the Week - Spammers (07/02/200

By tcavadias Staff ·
Here we all are once again ready and willingly to listen to me rant, whine (yes, I will take some cheese with that), stomp my little foot and just give my little feeble opinion (as little as that opinion may be) :-)

I had originally started to write about "changes" - enlight of the new web design. Not about the design itself per se, but more about reflection based on "changes".

However, I decided to change that last minute, and start all over from scratch and go with spam and spammers instead.

So here it is - short and sweet, with a little Grey Poupon and crackers on the side.

I know on any given day even with the best filters in place, all measures that one can take to keep spam/spammers out of their email boxes, some spam still manages to get through. I don't tend to receive very much in my main email accounts (one for work and one for family/friends), since I use alternate email addresses for things like ordering online, subscribing to newsletters and joining forum boards. Along with the alternative email addresses, I also use filters, I don't click on the "unsubscribe" link in email received (they don't need confirmation from me that yes this is a valid email address) and report anything I receive to my ISP. For me, this works at cutting down the spam received in my main accounts. I'm sure each of you have your own way of combating spam/spammers, as that really is what it is - combat but without the combat pay.

While there are *laws* (Can-Spam) that are suppose to help deter spam/spammers they are a joke.

Such as:

- Requiring an "unsubscribe" link? Yeah right, like I'm going to click on it so they know my email address is valid? Besides, I shouldn't have to click on anything, as I shouldn't have gotten that spam email to begin with.

- I bought such and such item so their third parties now have a relation with me so they can now send me spam as well? No! If I wanted your product I would have searched you out to begin with.

- Legal recourse? Yeah right, big companies may have the ability to hunt down spammers, but what about the little guy?

Spam/spammers though isn't just a problem in email, its also a problem in forum boards, chat rooms and IM's.

It's a problem that will continue as long as the money is there, as that is what it mostly boils back down to - Dollar signs. I say mostly, as some of the spam received is for other *benefits* - i.e. the girl in the chatroom trying to pick up any guy over the age of 13 who can fulfill her every fantasy. Course some of you may not consider this spam, but I do when it's unwanted and the chatroom isn't called - Fantasies-R-Us.

What more should the government(s) (yes, I said government, shame on me) be doing? How about the companies that own the forum boards, chatrooms, and IM's? How about the ISP's?

What more can *we* do about it? How do you deter spam/spammers?

Yes, I know I probably just opened up a whole bag of worms, but that's ok, I have my fishing line out and some spam sounds good tonight (with a little Grey Poupon to cover the bitter taste)

-Tammy :-)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

I only see

by Jaqui In reply to Rant of the Week - Spamme ...

one spam a week at most, other than the spam here on TR.
Not just the spam posts, but advertisements for products I'll never buy, like anything from Microsoft. or those "reports" from the completely biased "independant survey firms"
[ like anything Gartner says can be beleived with all their obvious lie reports in the past ]

Collapse -

My all time favorite spam...

by tcavadias Staff In reply to I only see

is the ones I get from either a) the girl claiming she read my profile and she believes she's what I'm looking for (sorry honey your plumbings all wrong) or b) are you having trouble getting it up? you need a male enchancement pill (looking down... unless I've gotten a sex change in the last couple of secs, no I don't)

-Tammy :-)

Collapse -

Stopping spammers is easy.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to Rant of the Week - Spamme ...

As long as one cybertwit continues to the junk being sold, spamming will be a profitable method of advertising. If idiots would stop buying from the products, the spammers would have no financial motive to send spam. That's who my real complaint is with - not spammers but people who respond to spam.

Collapse -

We need to pass a "john law" for SPAM

by jdclyde In reply to Stopping spammers is easy ...

Just like johns getting nailed for paying for sex, we need to fine morons for being morons.

We can call it the moron tax.

wow, a tax I can support! B-)

Collapse -

Nah, it wont pass

by w2ktechman In reply to We need to pass a "john l ...

cause 'moron' is a word too well known.
Maybe 'dimwit' should be used?

Collapse -

Or perhaps

by Dumphrey In reply to Nah, it wont pass

(A)cknowledged (S)pam (S)upporters HOtLinE

A database of those known to respond to SPAM, and then we can blacklist them from sending/receiving email.

Collapse -

Excellent Idea <NT>

by w2ktechman In reply to Or perhaps
Collapse -

When an offense is detected

by jdclyde In reply to Or perhaps

Someone comes in, slaps them, and takes their computer away.

B-)

Collapse -

Can I Volunteer??

by The Scummy One In reply to When an offense is detect ...

I would like to give it the personal touch.

Can I bring the master MAE with me???

Collapse -

Is the offence really bad enough to

by Dumphrey In reply to Can I Volunteer?? :D

warrant MAE?!?!?!?