Software

General discussion

Rant of the Week - Spammers (07/02/200

By tcavadias Staff ·
Here we all are once again ready and willingly to listen to me rant, whine (yes, I will take some cheese with that), stomp my little foot and just give my little feeble opinion (as little as that opinion may be) :-)

I had originally started to write about "changes" - enlight of the new web design. Not about the design itself per se, but more about reflection based on "changes".

However, I decided to change that last minute, and start all over from scratch and go with spam and spammers instead.

So here it is - short and sweet, with a little Grey Poupon and crackers on the side.

I know on any given day even with the best filters in place, all measures that one can take to keep spam/spammers out of their email boxes, some spam still manages to get through. I don't tend to receive very much in my main email accounts (one for work and one for family/friends), since I use alternate email addresses for things like ordering online, subscribing to newsletters and joining forum boards. Along with the alternative email addresses, I also use filters, I don't click on the "unsubscribe" link in email received (they don't need confirmation from me that yes this is a valid email address) and report anything I receive to my ISP. For me, this works at cutting down the spam received in my main accounts. I'm sure each of you have your own way of combating spam/spammers, as that really is what it is - combat but without the combat pay.

While there are *laws* (Can-Spam) that are suppose to help deter spam/spammers they are a joke.

Such as:

- Requiring an "unsubscribe" link? Yeah right, like I'm going to click on it so they know my email address is valid? Besides, I shouldn't have to click on anything, as I shouldn't have gotten that spam email to begin with.

- I bought such and such item so their third parties now have a relation with me so they can now send me spam as well? No! If I wanted your product I would have searched you out to begin with.

- Legal recourse? Yeah right, big companies may have the ability to hunt down spammers, but what about the little guy?

Spam/spammers though isn't just a problem in email, its also a problem in forum boards, chat rooms and IM's.

It's a problem that will continue as long as the money is there, as that is what it mostly boils back down to - Dollar signs. I say mostly, as some of the spam received is for other *benefits* - i.e. the girl in the chatroom trying to pick up any guy over the age of 13 who can fulfill her every fantasy. Course some of you may not consider this spam, but I do when it's unwanted and the chatroom isn't called - Fantasies-R-Us.

What more should the government(s) (yes, I said government, shame on me) be doing? How about the companies that own the forum boards, chatrooms, and IM's? How about the ISP's?

What more can *we* do about it? How do you deter spam/spammers?

Yes, I know I probably just opened up a whole bag of worms, but that's ok, I have my fishing line out and some spam sounds good tonight (with a little Grey Poupon to cover the bitter taste)

-Tammy :-)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

But, it would be fun <NT>

by The Scummy One In reply to Can I Volunteer?? :D
Collapse -

And, on the other hand, Mae would be

by The Scummy One In reply to Can I Volunteer?? :D

protected from prosecution on these 'warranted' beatings

Collapse -

Gorilla glue...

by tcavadias Staff In reply to When an offense is detect ...

I say we glue their fingers to a HUGE sign that says "I'm a spammer" and make them go out in public.

Collapse -

Well, anybody who clicks on those links

by NickNielsen In reply to Nah, it wont pass

is not just a dimwit, but senseless. Maybe it could be the senseless tax? :0

Collapse -

And just *who* do you expect...

by tcavadias Staff In reply to We need to pass a "john l ...

to manage that "moron tax".. the government? Oh wait.. never mind they would be perfect to manage a moron tax

Collapse -

Insidious spam

by Tig2 In reply to Rant of the Week - Spamme ...

The spammers who have won a very special place on my "S-List" are the ones that wake up zombie threads to couch their advertising in or just post nonsense in to bring them to the front page again. GRRRR!

Navigating the site is already a challenge enough. To have to wade through posts that are years old because some half-wit thought it would be funny to knock all current content off the front door makes the site nearly unusable. And for what? So some idiot spammer can have a few minutes of laughs?

Why can't aging topics be locked down in an effort to prevent this from happening? Once a topic has archived for a period of time with no activity- say 3-6 months- it gets locked so that no new posts can be added? That would insure that the information contained in the thread is accessible for historical purposes but it doesn't become a zombie destined to walk the board months or years after its death, brought to half life by some idiot spammer.

Collapse -

My least favorite

by Dumphrey In reply to Insidious spam

are the ones that fake a "NDR bounce" to include spam not filtered since its an NDR and returning...
These really set users on edge; "Someone is sending spam as me?" "My computer has been HACKED! Fix it!" Sigh...
And no matter how you may want to, message headers are not for the non-initiated, users just look and see a picture of a vase or something. (But then some of these guys can sell snow to polar bears, so they can be forgiven :))

Collapse -

spam KILLED the usenet.

by Locrian_Lyric In reply to Insidious spam

and a good portion of the Yahoo groups.

I remember when SPAM first reared it's ugly head on the usenet.

Back then, the spammer would usually get swatted hard, and would be lucky if he still had a working OS by the time we were through with him.

then the spambots came and overwhelmed us.

Collapse -

I know a few guys with middle names of 'the' who could take care of 'em

by Locrian_Lyric In reply to Rant of the Week - Spamme ...

Too bad it's not legal.

Can we get a law passed to make killing a spammer 'justifiable homocide?'

Collapse -

Spammers; another class of computer criminal

by Neon Samurai In reply to Rant of the Week - Spamme ...

.. who should have there fingers smashed with a meat tenderiser or the edge of there keyboard. I don't meant broken, I mean all those hundreds of bones in the human hand turned to mushy goo.

- spammers
- malware writers (outside of proof of concept in a controlled environment)
- virus writers (outside of proof of concept in a controlled environment)

I don't trully premote violence and realize that finding the responsible party is not possible across boarders and such. They'd only be back too the crime again after there hands eventually healed also. Man it would make me feel better though.

The real problem is still the profit. If it didn't turn a profit, it wouldn't be done.

Oh well.. maybe in another reality where email protocols are written differently or everybody voluntarily only interacts with peopel who will use public key signing.