Windows

General discussion

Server 2000 can't talk outside local net

By jonhunt2 ·
I administer a Windows 2000 server with about 15 users. The server cannot communicate outside the local network (no Internet access). I have verified the default gateway and DNS settings. I have also changed these and changed them back with no effect. The client workstations have the same settings and can access the Internet without any problem. From the server I can ping local machines, the default gateway and the T1 "router" on the public side of the gateway, but nothing else. Cannot ping the DNS servers. The server used to be able access the Internet. It may have lost access when I installed Terminal Server, but I'm not sure. Any ideas? I need to get this working and I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks,
Jon

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rapell In reply to Server 2000 can't talk ou ...

I think you should check your tcp/ip bindings first, then you make sure that the server is pointing to itself for DNS. If the server could access internet and you are sure you didn't change anything, try uninstalling TCP/IP and reinstall, or remove it from the registry(a safer method) and copy from the registry of a known working machine
P.S. backup your reg first.

Collapse -

by jonhunt2 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by jonhunt2 In reply to Server 2000 can't talk ou ...

THanks for all the help. I think my DNS forwarding may not be functioning. DNS is running on this server. It is not a root server, but is configured for the domain. I right-clicked on the DNS server and selected properties and setup forwarding addresses. I checked the root hints, which looked fine. Just to make sure, I expanded them again from the install CD and copied cache.dns into the DNS folder. In Monitoring tab, a simple DNS test is successful, but a recursive (external) DNS test fails. I now have DHCP setup on this server, but they could not access the Internet until I added the external DNS addresses in the DHCP server configuration. So the workstations are still up and running, but not using the forwarding from the one and only Win2000 server. I've doubled checked the DNS addresses in the forwarding tab and they're correct. Any ideas on how to fix forwarding??

Thanks,
Jon

Collapse -

OK. Problem found. I was examining the log files on the firewall and noticed that the source address translation for NAT for all the workstations was different than the server. The server looked like it was sending from the T1 router, while other clients were sending from the firewall/gateway. With Netscreen tech support, it turns out that I had a Mapped IP address that had an incorrect netmask setting. This policy was disabled, so I didn't think that would affect anything. But, as soon as we changed the netmask to 32, the server source addresses came from the firewall and I had Internet access. :)
Thanks to all for all your help and comments. I think this is a great forum and a great help.

Thanks,
Jon

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author