General discussion

Server 2003 Disconnected Network Drive

By ctmoore1998 ·
I have a Server in which 2 of 5 mapped shares are shown as "Disconnected Network Drive" If you double click on the share you can access the data. If you right mouse and choose 'disconnect' You get the error msg 'Network connection could not be found' If you go to a cmd prompt and do a net use the 2 disconnected shares are not listed if you try either a net use F: /d /y you get a network connection could not be found a net use * /d /y successfully disconnects the other 3 shares. If you then try a net use F: \server\share you get the error msg 'local device name already in use' Have search MS and internet for a solution can anyone help me clear the disconnected network drives???

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

37 total posts (Page 2 of 4)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to

And actually you didn't do what I suggested.

Have you UNMPAPPED all shares and then REMAPPED them from the My Computer, Tools, Disconnect Network Drive. And then perform a MAP network drive.

Is this server having drives mapped via a login script? Have you disabled the login script?

Collapse -

by ctmoore1998 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by collignond In reply to Server 2003 Disconnected ...

What has happened is the visuals shop a disconnected drive, the internals have a connected drive. that will account for not being able to disconect it, as it seems disconnected, you can not use the drive letter as the connection is actualy there.

What you can do is to press F5 a couple of times and see if the dirve shows up as connected, if not double click on the drive to access it then press F5 a coouple of times to ensure the drive is actualy present click on the BACK button and then press F5 again, I have tested this procedure and seems to work fine.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by klb In reply to Server 2003 Disconnected ...

I have come across the same problem on three of my workstations. The drive map is named as 'Disconnected Network Drive', the data is there and accessible but the drive letter is not an option if you try to remap it or it errors if you try to delete it. I have not been able to locate a solutioin yet.

Collapse -

by klb In reply to

Found this entry just recently:

Name: dave (by resourcepc)
Date: August 17, 2005 at 12:41:41 Pacific
Homepage: ResourcePC
Subject: disconnected network drive

Reply:
I found the problem, apparently since there were shortcuts on the desktop pointing to mapped drives, XP was trying to connect to the drive before the login script was able to finish. So XP thought that the drive was not there and marked it as disconnected. If I made the shortcuts using a UNC path, the problem with disconnected network drives went away.

Waiting to see the results.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by bari.a.zavacki In reply to Server 2003 Disconnected ...

I came across the same issue today. I'm using Server2003 and a login script. Exact same symptoms described above. The desktop shortcut did not work for me. I started to think it was profile related. Then I searched the registry and found my G: drive hard coated under HKey_users default, network . I deleted it, but it came back again. So I think I'm close.. but I don't know how to get rid of it....Any thoughts?

Collapse -

Collapse -

by lertsa In reply to Server 2003 Disconnected ...

It probably has something to do with the account you used when connecting to these resources. I had a similar problem with an integration software, except the data could not be accessed at first - only after I logged in and started the software with the same username as the resource had.

When I'm using the integration software to 'net use' drives, it creates this "Disconnected Network Drive" that cannot be seen or deleted by manually started 'net use'. The software and command prompt use different system accounts and thus cannot be meddled with the other. However, I CAN delete the DND with the same software it was created with.

So the mappings are probably created some other way than the working ones, try to solve it from there... hope this didn't confuse you =)

Back to Windows Forum
37 total posts (Page 2 of 4)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next