General discussion

Server 2003 Disconnected Network Drive

By ctmoore1998 ·
I have a Server in which 2 of 5 mapped shares are shown as "Disconnected Network Drive" If you double click on the share you can access the data. If you right mouse and choose 'disconnect' You get the error msg 'Network connection could not be found' If you go to a cmd prompt and do a net use the 2 disconnected shares are not listed if you try either a net use F: /d /y you get a network connection could not be found a net use * /d /y successfully disconnects the other 3 shares. If you then try a net use F: \server\share you get the error msg 'local device name already in use' Have search MS and internet for a solution can anyone help me clear the disconnected network drives???

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

37 total posts (Page 3 of 4)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ctmoore1998 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by ben In reply to Server 2003 Disconnected ...

I have resolved an identical issue at the systems of 2 clients of mine, one with XP Pro clients connetcing to an SBS 2000 server, the other with XP Pro clients connecting to a pair of Windows 2003 Std servers. Any drive letter referenced by a desktop shortcut would display as "Disconnected Network Drive" as the type as well as volume name of the drive. The icon for the drive would not show a red X.
The resolution was related to the recent upgrade at both of these environments to Symantec Antivirus Corp 10.0. Symantec recognizes this issue and has a posted KB with a workaround at the link below. If you have recently upgraded to SAV 10, this is very likely your resolution:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/4c7874c886a9bb0c88256fc700654267/f45ceefbf4e6d7bc88257019006dfaef?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

Collapse -

Collapse -

by ted In reply to Server 2003 Disconnected ...

I have found that if you go to a command line and enter the "net use /persistent:no" command and then reboot the PC, the issue does not seem to come back with same user. The answer dealing with the shortcuts on the desktops trying to remap remmebered drive letters seems right on the mark. I have users that go from one site to the next and the two sites have the same mappings, just to different servers and when the migrate from one site to another, this issue will come up. I'm thinking about scripting it in the login script, but haven't found a command that will do it yet.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Rocco_lca In reply to Server 2003 Disconnected ...

I have the same exact problem. I basically setup a schedule task to call a vbs script to do some backups for me... A drive gets mapped during this process and then gets deleted after the files get copied to that share. When the script is finished it is supposed to delete that mapping, but it never does. Now i've tried manually.. but same results.. can't delete it. I tried all cmds... but still coming up short. I mean I can do an if than in my script for if that drive letter is alread taken... but it's just going to fill up. Yes reboot fixes the problem. But I just can't reboot my 25 DC's every day. Come on guys... what the **** is going on??? PLEASE HELP!

Collapse -

Collapse -

by fneuner In reply to Server 2003 Disconnected ...

I had the same problem on all of my XP client computers. It was driving me up a wall.

I finally uninstalled this CRAP called Symantec AntiVirus, and low and behold all workd as advertised.

Man, I hate Symantec with a passion by now.
Sorry if you are a 'Symantec' guy, but I hate that company and what it stands for.

Many thanks for the excellent answers.

Frank

Collapse -

Collapse -

by bgmiller In reply to Server 2003 Disconnected ...

I have been having the same problem.

This is what Symantec has to say about it:
"This problem has been reported to Symantec Technical Support. At this time, we do not know the exact cause or factors that contribute to this problem. We will update this document when new information or a solution is available."

Gotta love it. I'm going to try the desktop shortcut approach.

Back to Windows Forum
37 total posts (Page 3 of 4)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next