General discussion

Stop: 0x0000007B

By aszunick ·
We've inherited a PC at our special needs school.
It's a home built unit using a MSI-6378 Motherboard, using an AMD Duron 1.1 GHZ Pocessor, w/LAN, Sound, and VGA...I've upgraded it to 512mb.

I received the computer with Windows 2000 installed. We have a license for WIndows XP Pro so I decided to upgrade it to XP using the XP upgrade disc. After the installation, on reboot, it failed to load XP and I received the following error message:***STOP: 0x0000007B. Could not boot into the Safe Mode, DOS....etc. There are no virus's on the drive.

I've upgraded quite a few donated PC's and have never run into this problem.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Arnie
aszunick@yahoo.com

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

20 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Stop: 0x0000007B

Well this might help.

Main Memory

? Supports four memory banks using two 168-pin unbuffered DIMM.
? Supports a maximum memory size of 1GB (256MB DRAM technology).
? Supports 3.3v SDRAM DIMM.
? NO support ECC Function.

That is taken directly from the MSI site for this M'Board and describes the RAM Requirements. It could very likely be that the RAM is not compatible with the M'Board so if you have 1 512 MEG Stick it might be an idea to remove it and try it with what it originally came with or if you had both banks filled remove one stick and see if it then works. That is a Memory Error that you have posted so I would start looking there or run some memory tests on it from a floppy if it has one. If it doesn't it isn't hard to temporally fit one with the case opened and test things out. I tend to use a Windows 98 Boot disk to get into DOS and then run the utilities from floppy from there in DOS. While you are at it also run a HDD checking utility as well and any other testing utilities that you may have available.

At what stage has this stopped? Did you get the Windows XP Splash screen or only the POST or what?

Col

Collapse -

by aszunick In reply to

Strange situation. Using the existing Maxtor drive I cannot upgrade or install XP. Tried an old 3gb Western Digital drive and it installs XP..no problem. I had a couple of old Maxtor drives kicking around.....tried them. Could not install XP on any of the Maxtor drives. Is this progress??

Collapse -

Now I am confused. That XP will not install on a Maxtor HDD is a strange one indeed.

The only thing that I can think of that could cause the problem is if they are older and the Firmware isn't supported by XP. If that is the case you're only alternative is to either Flash the Firmware to a newer version or change the Drive completely. In the days when Quantum was still around they had a utility to Flash the firmware but I'm not sure if that option is still available from Maxtor.

If the drives are big enough though it would be worthwhile looking on the Maxtor Web Site and see if there is a Firmware upgrade available for the model drive that you have.

If not you'll have to fit a new HDD to the unit to install XP to.

Col

Collapse -

by aszunick In reply to

Thanks Col..

It really surprised me too. I'm going to install GHOST on the Western Digital and try to copy the files to the Maxtor.
If that doesn't work, I'll just use the WD. It's taking too much time.

Collapse -

How about using the Maxtor as a Slave Drive? After all you can use a WD drive as you intended and Ghost the contents over but wouldn't it be a better idea to first see if the Maxtor will actually work in an XP environment? Leave it as it is install it as the Slave and then use the WD as the master to see if the unit still runs with the Maxtor installed. If it will not boot up with the Maxtor installed as a Slave you're wasting your time trying to Ghost an image across to it.

I know that many years ago "no where long enough though!" I was installing SP 1 onto a customers machine wand it installed perfectly then asked to be rebooted and on the restart I received a Message that there was no OS installed or no drive present or something similar. Anyway I disconnected the Burner that was in the machine Reloaded and tried again. The same thing happened so I reloaded Ghosted the contents of the boot drive and Slave Drive to different HDD and tried once again with only the Boot drive installed same result. After spending way too much time on the phone to MS I decided to try a different approach and eventually after ghosting the drive about 30 times I found that the Samsung DVD Drive was the problem. I flashed the firmware and it worked perfectly but that very same drive passed every Compatibility test that I could throw at it even the ones that MS suggested for the "Problem" computers. As this was a new build and a P4 the thing should not have been a problem but it nearly drove me nuts in finding out what was going wrong as the MBR's where being erased when applying SP1.

Col

Collapse -

by aszunick In reply to

Works fine as a slave drive. I tried to GHOST without luck. The Maxtor is a 20gb drive. The WD is a 40. Won't transfer to the smaller drive.

The drive is a Maxtor Fireball 3 ATA 133. I looked through the Maxtor web site and they recommend installing using their MACBLAST software along with EZBIOS. It's getting too complicated. I'll just have to use a drive other than Maxtor.

Collapse -

by sburns1968 In reply to Stop: 0x0000007B

Let me say this is common problem. A lot of times i boot and watch for a device driver causing the error. Once you locate the driver, say video card. I replace the video card with another one and it boots right up. I have had to reseat everything and it boot up. I would try that before I format.

Collapse -

by aszunick In reply to

Gave up!! Installed WD drive and all is well.

Collapse -

by LVinson In reply to Stop: 0x0000007B

You also need to look at the wording after the stop error messaage.

I suggest going to the Microsoft support knowledge base and typing in the stop error message and look at the various causes (there are several possible causes listed on their site.)

Here is the web address for a generic search on the STOP: 0x0000007B message.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?qu=STOP%3A+0x0000007B

Good luck...
Larry

Collapse -

by aszunick In reply to Stop: 0x0000007B

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
20 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02