Question

• Creator
    Topic

thinkpad 600

by aosullivan ·

hi I had to change my harddrive in my ibm thinkpad 600 but it wont boot for me only getting safe mode ,safe mode with networking,safe mode with command prompt.then it tries to start again and again with no look how can i load windows xp .thanks

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by aosullivan ·

In reply to thinkpad 600

Clarifications

First thing what made you think that the HDD had failed?

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to thinkpad 600

By your description it seems that you have a HDD Controller problem. There is only one way to test this properly and that is to get a hold of a Live Linux Distro and boot off the CD and allow it to run. If it loads and runs properly you are looking at a possible software problem and if it will not load you have a hardware problem.

If the unit will load a Live Linux as this doesn’t involve the HDD Controller you can then proceed to do some tests using the Ultimate Boot CD to test the hardware. This CD runs from the Optical Drive and has a bunch of Diagnostic tests on it which are very useful in determining problems before you start to change parts.

Both are available from here

http://tinyurl.com/23nmq

You can either download or buy depending on what you have working at your disposal.

Just one issue here as I’ve never purchased anything from this place I’m not sure how good they are when you are paying for things and how fast or well packaged they are when they post them out.

Col

Viewing 1 reply thread