General discussion

This week: Top 100 and Top 5 lists

By sMoRTy71 ·
Just wanted to give you all a heads up as to what we're rolling out this week.

1. Top 100 members list
Based on the new Site Activity Meter, we have created a list of the Top 100 members over the past 30 days. If the member has a Profile page, you will be able to click through and learn more about them. In the second phase of this page, we will add the Site Activity Meter to each member so that you can get a better idea of the rankings.

2. Top 100 status on Member Signature
If you are in the Top 100 members list, your ranking will be displayed underneath your activity meter (#56 of Top 100). Clicking the "Top 100" link will take you to the full Top 100 list mentioned above.

3. Top 5 per topic
We will also display the Top 5 most-active members per Discussion Center and Technical Q&A topic. We hope this helps recognize members in each of their areas of expertise. For example, you may not be the most active member overall; however, you can still be the most-active in a topic like "Network Administration."

These enhancements will roll out late Wednesday, so please let us know what you think of them and how we can improve them.

Thanks,
sm

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

39 total posts (Page 2 of 4)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Elitists will be insulted

by house In reply to Well I wouldn't say I'm ' ...

It is true that I am a new member, with this alias, and that I've only recently decided to take a proactive approach in the TR community. I agree with what you are saying regarding the seasoned veterans at TR.

I can almost guarantee that I am more active right now than I will be in a few months. I've had a lot of down-time recently because of my current job and as the opportunities start presenting themselves again on the career front, I will only be able to contribute while I am sitting at home. Currently, I can sit on help desk and plug away on TR during my whole shift. I walk people through standard troubleshooting routines while going through my discussions and Q&A contributions.

I don't think that anyone should feel insulted about the top 100. If they are insulted, then perhaps they are elitists. That is their character flaw and it is beyond our control.

I haven't crossed paths recently with anyone who is not on that list - if I have... then I don't recall.

Chris

Collapse -

Well I'm insulted

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Elitists will be insulted

I come in at number 13 which is way too high for my meager participation here on TR. Granted the meter has just started so I hope to see the regulars right up there where they belong I didn't think I'd even make the top 100 let alone be rated so high.

There are a lot of other Peers here who should have rated far higher than they appear to have managed to do.

Col

Collapse -

Re: meager participation

by house In reply to Well I'm insulted

For the amount of "quality" feedback that you leave, you should be in the top three.

For back and forth communication within a thread, you should be in the top three.

Your posts are usually twice the size of mine, with real world examples and stories that are related to the topic. I noticed this initially in the "What role do tapes play" thread a while back when I began participating in discussions. It went from data backup, to power backup, to horror stories, and then to patient data. Phew. How many people could cover that many topics in so few posts? ...and with positive conversation to boot!

I was wondering where you went, and then I was drafted into TRI to find you kicking around in here.

Chris

Collapse -

Yes Chris

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Well I'm insulted

Some silly person put my name forward but in all honestly lately I've been very busy and just have not had the time to relax on TR.

I was actually thinking about the last few weeks as I've only had time to check my personal and business e-mails at best once a day and sometimes even less. Things have just been so busy that I haven't had the time and even though people like Max will tell you I do not sleep I do at least try to get a few hours per day.

Col

Collapse -

valid concern

by apotheon In reply to Well I wouldn't say I'm ' ...

I agree that if this is the only measure, it's not exactly fair to long-time contributors. I'm sure there are many that should be higher up than I am in a general measure of contribution to this site, but aren't rated higher.

I think that perhaps the way to get the best of both worlds is to have a site activity meter, exactly like what we have now, AND an overall contribution measure. The overall measurement should be an absolute measure, where the more you contribute the more points you get, and they never go away. It wouldn't be a rolling metric like the 30-day meter is, but rather a measure of all contributory activity on the site from the day you joined. That, then, would both prompt people to get involved in the short run and recognize the contributions of "old-timers".

Thems is mah two cents.

Collapse -

Exactly

by Oz_Media In reply to valid concern

I think they toyed with the idea once and ended up with the existing meter.

A LIFETIME meter would be a little more accurate on a long term basis though. As it sits now, it's just a pretty toy that really doesn't say nor mean much at all. Therefore , IMO, it is pretty pointless and doesn't serve the purpose it was intended to.

Collapse -

There will be other measures

by sMoRTy71 In reply to Exactly

Before we get a full-scale riot going on, let me just say that the meter and the Top 100 are just one of many features we are planning that will recognize our members.

We most definitely are going to have ways of recognizing members in a more qualitative way. We are also going to have ways to recognize the long-time members.

The meter was just the first thing we implemented and the Top 100 listing is just a way to display the results of the meter. It is definitely not the only way we're going to recognize our members. It just happened to be the first one we launched.

And we will also be adding more variables to the meter algorithm so that more types of interaction are counted.

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far, though.

Collapse -

Profiles will be visible soon

by sMoRTy71 In reply to I HAVE AHUGE ISSUE WITH T ...

Oz:
Part of the next phase of community stuff is a new profile page. Unlike the current page, which can be turned off, the new profile page will be visible to everyone.

For legal reasons, we will have to show your alias unless you choose to use your real name.

However, you will still be able to find out more about the member than you do now.

Our hope is that the new features we add will make users want to show their profile off.

Collapse -

Sounds good

by Oz_Media In reply to Profiles will be visible ...

My main point was that I would like to see other discussions and Q&A's that the poster has partisipated in. I can't do this from a blank alias without digging through the peer directory.

I don't care if people use names or aliases, or even say the correct country they live in, it is irrelevant to me. I would just be interested in seeing their site activity.

Collapse -

Totally agree

by sMoRTy71 In reply to Sounds good

Oz,
I totally agree with you. I think there will be much more interaction between our members once you can learn more about someone from their profile page.

Plus, you'll have a much better sense of who you are interacting with.

sm

Back to Community Forum
39 total posts (Page 2 of 4)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next